125 with two oscars, 8 silver dollars, synodontis

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
So years ago I had this same set up and want to do it again, but wondering about my filtration now.

The silver dollars are adults, the two cats are grown, the two oscars are like 2 inches.

I got two AC 110s, with the spong and then rest ceramic bio.......then a large sponge filter, and a power head with 4 spong cartridges like a tower.

I can't fit a canister under the tank that's larger than 11 inches, that's the width of each three doors.

I can fit something like a 407.

So I was thinking of ditching one of the 110s and adding something the size of a 407.

Or just say forget it for now and leave it all as is and see how things go as the oscars get bigger.

then maybe add a medium canister and ditch the sponge filter since oscars tend to chew em

The less electricity I have going the happier I would be or i would just add a canister with everything but that's like 5 filters, no thanks.

i do about 50 percent WC weekly

i like over filtering, but, dang wish i could fit an fx6 underneath but ain't gonna happen

thinking

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Firstly, it's not ideal having all those fish in a 125, especially when those little oscars get bigger, and that will be soon!

But you already know what's coming bio load wise, hence your question regarding filtration, so at least you're being pro active rather than leaving it late.

Yes you are certainly going to need extra volume filter wise and your limited space situation means you may have to get creative.

Also, your current weekly 50% water change is a little on the wimpy side. You really do need to keep that water fresher than that, even more so further down the line.

You may eventually need a bi-weekly water change of around the 70% mark.

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Get another 125 and split that group up.

Total w/c each time.

Add lots of duckweed to aid water quality (This is NOT a substitute for water changes).

Oscars don't like being crowded and there's gonna be too much going on in that tank...competion for turf. Stress can kill quick or long term.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: jjohnwm
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store