135 gallon sump sponge cleaning help

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
So I have a custom 135 gallon sump. I have 5 swisstropicals sponges which are amazing if anyone else uses them here. A question for cleaning them. I have well water so no chlorine or anything, I know the old saying of washing sponge media in fish tank water. But the sponges are so big that a real pain in my rear end.. do I need to be rinsing these out in my fish tank water and can I hose them down which would be so much easier, looking for opinions on this. I feel when I only rinse in fish tank water I font truly get all the gunk out

1000009294.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Without any chlorine, it would seem hosing the down perfect.
I also use Swiss topicals sponges and treat them the same way.
IMG_8768.jpeg
IMG_8812.jpeg
I find with only about half the sponges, and a couple bags of rings, I get adequate ammonia remval, but with 80% of the sumps being planted, I also get almost 99% nitrate removal.
IMG_5355.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I wanna put live plants in my sump! But I have no light over it so idk how that would effect it? Is that all jungle vale? No substrate ?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Not a problem to take them out in the yard and hose them down, I've even slapped them against the cement patio to help dislodge the gunk. Just be sure to wear shorts and no shoes as you'll need to hose your legs down afterward.

They will dislodge a lot of particles though when you remove them from the sump and they will be heavy with water so it might be helpful to shut off the pump and lower the sump water level first.

Reactions: tlindsey

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Not a problem to take them out in the yard and hose them down, I've even slapped them against the cement patio to help dislodge the gunk. Just be sure to wear shorts and no shoes as you'll need to hose your legs down afterward.

They will dislodge a lot of particles though when you remove them from the sump and they will be heavy with water so it might be helpful to shut off the pump and lower the sump water level first.
Awesome and yes how I constructed my sump you'll see that small baffle right outside the sponges so what that is for is I drain the sump to that lower baffle and what it does is when I remove my sponges it doesn't allow that gunk and poop water to travel anywhere else in the sump, it contains it too that sponge section :) so I just vacuum that little section out and no other part of the sump is effected

Reactions: deeda

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
USA
I too use Swiss Tropicals Poret® Filter Foam and love it! D deeda described exactly what I do to clean mine. I soak them down with the hose and then whack them against the stone exterior of my house. It takes several rinse and whack cycles, but they come out much cleaner that if I simply tried to rinse them with water pressure alone. I also have spring/well water, so chlorine isn't an issue, much like your situation. You were very wise to set up your sump sections to include a catch baffle, because it is impossible to pull the sponges out without a lot of gunk draining out. 👍

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
I too use Swiss Tropicals Poret® Filter Foam and love it! D deeda described exactly what I do to clean mine. I soak them down with the hose and then whack them against the stone exterior of my house. It takes several rinse and whack cycles, but they come out much cleaner that if I simply tried to rinse them with water pressure alone. I also have spring/well water, so chlorine isn't an issue, much like your situation. You were very wise to set up your sump sections to include a catch baffle, because it is impossible to pull the sponges out without a lot of gunk draining out. 👍
Thanks for all the replys! Bc cleaning these have been a pain in my butt, but now that I know all this, it will be so much easier :) thanks as always everybody

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store