15 hour tank upgrade

mzhantsche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
A, A
I upgraded my tank yesterday. It took me 15 hours. I moved a 16" Black arowana, 13" Senegal bichir, 10" Delhezi Bichir, 11" Ornate Bichir, and a 4" Sebea Mono. I put them in a 150gal 60"x30"x24".

It took me so long because i had to build on to the existing stand. I emptied the old tank and put each bichir in its own bucket and added an air stone. The arowana went in a 60gal that i had empty. I attached one of my filters to the 60gal and added an air stone. I used two plastic bags with black bottoms to move the arowana. I got them from LFS.

The stand took close to 2 hours to finish. Because the stand was 30" deep, it wouldn’t fit through my doorways. We had to add the extension on with 10 large lag bolts in the room.

We had trouble moving the new tank. We had to flip it on its side to fit through the doorway. Their were three of us. Were large strong guys and we couldn’t get it on the stand. I had to call an extra guy to get it on the stand. And we barley made it.

Around 6pm the tank was on the stand. All my helpers left at this point so i was left alone to put it all together.(wasn’t too bummed) I bought 50 pounds of new black sand and four large fake plants for the new tank. It took me till about 11pm to fill the tank. I use RO water and was only able to get 35gal from my LFS before they closed. I saved all the water from my old tank. After adding all the water i had it was only about 60% full. As a last resort i used a water vending machine outside my local grocery store. The label on the machine said UV sterilized and Reverse osmosis. I put a little conditioner in the new water. The water seemed to do fine.

After the tank was full I tested levels and got 0 Nitrites, 0 ammonia, 20ppm Nitrate. I decided to start adding the bichrs. I did one bichir every hour. So by 3am I added the arowana.

All the fish were really calm during the transfers. And are showing no signs of stress right now. They look really hungry but I’m going to wait a few days before i feed them.

I love the new tank but might wife hasn’t talked to me since she saw it. Hahahaha

Having trouble loading pics. comming soon.

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
While reading through your post I was kinda thinking something terrible happened towards the end of your post (idk why). Glad there was no bad news though! :) 4 Guys to move a 150? Only took me and one other person to move my 125g into the house and down some stairs...Can't see why 25 more gallons would take 4 people lol

Looking forward to seeing pics. :thumbsup:

jardiniarokeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2011
Brunei Darussalam
nice

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
nicee! but now your wife is gonna kick your butt if she's already giving you the silent treatment... loll

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store