180 gallon South American theme

EDKexotics2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
Hi everyone, I have a 180 South American planted tank that I’m struggling to stock, it is a grow out so keep in mind the final tank is going to be much larger. I’m looking for a schooling fish that will stay towards the top 1/3 of the tank. My issue is every “top dweller” sees my Geophagus and decide they are also a bottom dweller. Also whatever fish has to be large enough to not be eaten. Current stock is below.
1x zebrina pike
8x Geo Sveni
5x Geo Pyrocephalus
3x Geo Mirabilis
3x satanoperca daemon
3x Geo rio caqueta sp
3x geo pelligrini
2x krobia xinguensis (conside

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I think you are over estimating the capacity of a 180 gal tank, to hold all those Geos as adults.
I have two 180s, and would never consider that many Geos, in one of them, maybe half the number.
As juvies yes, but later on, that's way over stocked, unless you plan on daily 50% water changes to hold nitrate down to safe levels (less than 5 ppm) for these geophagines.
II you have soft low pH tap water, I'd stick to the Amazonian types, and forget the trans (west) Andean types.
If your tap water is harder with a more basic pH, I'd stick to the trans Andean species, and go light on the east of the Andes Amazonians.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

EDKexotics2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
I understand, this is a grow out. I plan on doing around a 500 gallon system. I am very familiar with each Geophagus, I have personally bred three generations of sveni as well as most of these other species myself. Water has always been perfect. I’m not a fan of the Andean Geophagus I just ended up with a group of three juveniles from a friend and are not in the long term plan (even though the pelligrini have been surprisingly model citizens). The RHT are getting their own Tapajos biotope, as well as the mirabilis an Aripuana biotope. PH and softness are dependent on season, as well as it’s heavily planted nitrates are absorbed extremely quickly. Trust me I’m no beginner especially with the Geophagus, I just need a tank mate that will cover a different portion of the tank, every single fish has decided it wants to try and be an earth eater.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store