500 gallon predator pond

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I know i have already posted a thread about my pond in the past but i didn't know how to post videos or photos at that time. That thread just got messed up. I am sorry for posting a wj=hole other thread but this time i will share my pond progress in a proper way. For those of you whoa re wondering whether my strange mix of fish worked out or not then here you go.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
I hope that Pacu is trying to chill with your Midas and not eat him.
Even though that would be a strange relationship
Haha. they are kind of in a love hate relationship. It only tenses up when i am around and they think its feeding time. Besides don't underestimate the RD/midas. Its acting all innocent on camera buy usually chases away my pacu with ease.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Update: I added another small midas/red devil cichlid in my pond last Friday and there is no sign of aggression from the other midas/red devil. It is just being ignored by my other fish. I have added a couple more hiding spots just in case here are a few pics.
1000020202.jpg
1000020203.jpg
1000020204.jpg
1000020205.jpg
1000020206.jpg
1000020208.jpg

And a short video

1000020205.jpg

Attachments

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
These liners are build to endure extreme water pressure, different weather,etc. However their strength depends on the pool size and brand. In my personal experience, intex pools are more sturdy than bestway pools but are a bit more expensive.
The intex pool liners consist of three layers, the outer and inner layers are extra thick PVC layers, supported by a middle High Strength Polyester Mesh. This adds a lot of strength to these liners than the traditional ones, which are not designed to endure such water pressures since they are used in inground ponds or in completely framed, wooden ponds.. However it should be noted that this type of liner comes in only pools that are greater than a 100 gallons.
Here's a pic to help you understand.
1000020260.jpg
As for my fish, the pacu and snakehead do occasionally hit the pool liber at high speeds but don't have the strength to tear it. However this behaviour has decreased a lot eversince they have grown and become accustomed to quick human movements in the surroundings of the pool, doors opening quickly or closing with bang,etc. Otherwise when they were little this behaviour was more common.
Moreover the sound and vibration caused by my waterfall also helps in reducing the affects of incoming vibrations and large sounds caused by our recklessness, the main reason why my fish become skittish.

EDIT: just to give you a example of how strong these pool liners are, my previous 1700 gallon intex pool pond had three screws horizontally stuck beneath it, but even the extreme high pressure of water acting downwards couldn't tear it for 4 months straight.
if these kiddy pools can resist the wild behaviour of little brats then they can most definitely house some much well mannered monster fish 🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Pretty cool-weren’t you comes Jag cichlid to go in there too?
I did go to my LFS to buy a jag but this new smaller midas/RD was way too cheap to pass on. So I bought this one. However I am going to buy a baby jag in a few days once my dad's a bit free to take me to the LFS.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store