MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
Amazon fish found in St. Lucie River

Reported by: Bryan Garner
Email: bgarner@wptv.com
Last Update: 6:25 pm

Slideshow
Mike Iania, along with his son and the pacu fish he found in the St. Lucie River Saturday. (photo provided by Mike Iania )

PORT ST. LUCIE, FL -- January's cold snap has not been kind to aquatic life in South Florida.
Tilapia, snook and several other species of fish turned up dead in the Indian River Lagoon.
The cold stunned sea turtles into a coma-like state; hundreds had to be rescued and revived.
And the weather was blamed for the death of at least 8 manatees on the Treasure Coast, including one found today in Ft. Pierce.
But perhaps the strangest casualty of the cold turned up in Port St. Lucie this week, in the north fork of the St. Lucie River.
Mike Iania has caught plenty of fish at that spot over the years, but nothing like the one he found floating belly up in the river Saturday morning.
"It was 38 inches long, his girth was 17 inches wide and we weighed him in at about 52 pounds," said Iania.
He took the fish around to one bait shop after another, but no one knew what it was. That’s when he called in a biologist.
Dr. Grant Gilmore, formerly with the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution, said it was a pacu fish that was found in the Amazon.
It turns out the pacu is actually a vegetarian cousin of the piranha.
"The creepy thing is it’s teeth are like human molars," said Ed Killer, outdoors writer for Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers.
The pacu is an exotic pet. The one Iania found was a breeding female, ready to release its eggs.
"It was just amazing to see something that big coming out of this water," said Iania.
But like many tropical species the pacu could not survive the record cold temperatures that have now claimed thousands of fish in the Indian River Lagoon.

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/st...dian-river-lagoon/EGat9OT5vEK9FuS0HPtDgw.cspx

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Id love to hook into one of those on light tackle. :naughty:

Sad about those peoples pet though.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
gomezladdams;3811466; said:
Id love to hook into one of those on light tackle. :naughty:

Sad about those peoples pet though.

Come fish in my living room, if you have an enough adult beverages I can convince you that the fish you caught was 52 lbs!

Accident

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2007
South Texas
A few years ago, some guy caught one in an irrigation canal here in S Texas. weird.

A

notnew2dis

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
Miami, Florida
I caught one near Tamiami canal while fishing for Peacock Bass with 12 lb tackle.
The weird thing is he hit a 3" live shiner, and I thought these fish were strictly vegetarian.
The Pacu was about 18~20 inches, and fought a lot more than a similar size Pbass, he even bent my hook. I took it home, and since he was too big for my tank, I ate him.

I have seen only a few in all the years I have been fishing down here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store