acrylic hood

tothna

Candiru
MFK Member
May 18, 2005
Ohio
I was at Home Depot today and I saw sheets of acrylic and was thinking of making a hood for my 29 gal. Has anyone had experience doing this? I was wondering what would be a good light setup.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
They sell 1/4 inch acrylic at hardware stores around here...I think that would be fine.

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
Ya dont use 3/16" Plexi it warps like anything an only way to get it back is to use a heat gun an force it back to straight as best you can. Get thicker Plexi or just use plate, or safety glass.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
I have some sheets of 1/8 plexi Ive been using for tank covers,some of the pieces are over 20 years old.The one on my oscar tank has had a flourecent light resting on it for a year.None of the pieces are warped cracked or discolored.The only breaks are from dropping on a corner on cement floor.

yourmylunch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2005
FL
buy the thicker stuff and have them cut it it works great for me

Conagher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
NC
I made a smoke tinted cover to dim the lighting a little for my plecos and loaches in my 10G tank... it was only 1/8' thick and was supported completely around the perimeter of the tank, but it sagged a bit after only a month. I keep flipping it over every month or so. it seems to keep it in decent shape.

The fish seem to be more active with it on, but it still allows enough light through to see them very well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store