AFrican Knife Fish

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Welcome to Monster Fish Keepers.com!

Knife Fish usually get around 8-12'' inches in length so a good minimum tank size would be around 55-75 gallons. They are actually peaceful and curious fish. They will eat almost anything, and mine like Algae Wafers,Krill,Boiled Shrimp,Feeder Fish, and Cichlid Pellets. They usually are most active at night-time but you can keep them more active during the day by feeding during the day.

DaEliasX

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2008
Dothan, AL
Thank you. are they timid? As in with other tankmates... Mines seems to act as if he is afraid to deal with the competion at feeding time.

TwistedPenguin

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
Oklahoma
The one I had a long time ago was extremely shy, he wouldn't come out unless there were no room lights and only a dim red light on his tank. Never could get him to eat anything but bloodworms and ghost shrimp. I thought all African Knifefish were that way since he was the only one I'd ever had. The one I've had now for about 6 wks is the complete opposite. He'll eat ANYthing! And he's out 24/7 swimming around. I have to scoot him out of the way during water changes & when I put my fingers down to him he nibbles at my fingers to see if I've got food. He's awesome, I love his personality.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
African Knife Fish are great fish. They only get to an average size of 8" and aren't aggressive. You can keep mulitple ABK together. They just need to get used to things. They shouldn't be placed with overly aggressive fish like most Cichlids. Angels and Discus are good. They are more of a "Community" fish providing the tankmates don't look like a meal.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
yea i doubt it will get to a foot. i bought mine as an adult and a year and a half later it is still the same 8 inches. it eats evrything but especially loves freeze-dried krill and frozen cocktsail shrimp

it gets along with all my tankmates and is good friends with my parrot cichlid.

dont keep it with things that can fit in its mouth or beat the crap out of it ...and it will be the perfect fish for a community tank

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
Im thinking about getting one but Im worried that it will just hide all the time. I seena youtube video and the persons African knife fish was swimming around everywhere.

Plus I worry about my cichlids, they already give my BGK some trouble.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
well if they gave your bgk trouble which is a more secretive knife...then a african brown will definitely have problems. when they get comfortable they swim all over even in the day time.

i wouldnt put it with cichlids any more aggressive then say a severum.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
More likely to see a AKF 6-8 than 8-12 (never heard or seen of one over 8inches actually)

I have kept one with cichlids int he past, but more peaceful cichlids like severums, blood parrot, angel fish, firemouth, and a krib (yes weird ass tank, long time ago). Everyone leaved the knifefish alone and he was ALWAYS out and about and would eat anything, including flakes on the surface.

I have one now with polys and ctenopoma and the largest ctenopoma chases the knifefish occasionally. This one is a lot more shy that the one I had in the past, but it still comes out during the day if I sit still for 30 seconds. It was a pickier eating, only eating "real" food (aka not pellets or flakes) but it has recently come around to eating pellets and flakes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store