Albino Chuatsi Cohab question

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Got a little Albino Chuatsi and was wondering about cohabitating him with other Chuatsi or Indo Dats or some combination of the 2. I've never kept Chuatsi before but have kept Scherzeri which got along fine even when kept as a duo but I'm not sure the same would be the same for the Chuatsi. Dats I've had experience with but always kept singly and never with anything that so closely resembles them so I'm unsure if there'd be any aggression. Would mixing a Indo with the Chuatsi work? Or should I add more than one Dat? If I went with a second Chuatsi would there be aggression?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks Midwater Midwater . The Chuatsi and Dats will be juvies around 3 inches in a 75 till they put on some size.

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
Should be fine with either for now. The Chuatsi will quickly outgrow the Dat and start looking at it as a meal. I have a 20" albino right now and am very weary of tankmates as its willing to try and swallow just about anything. With comparable size fish, the Chuatsi have never shown a single sign of aggression for me.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Should be fine with either for now. The Chuatsi will quickly outgrow the Dat and start looking at it as a meal. I have a 20" albino right now and am very weary of tankmates as its willing to try and swallow just about anything. With comparable size fish, the Chuatsi have never shown a single sign of aggression for me.
Wow, can I ask what size you got him? And how long it took him to get to that size? Also is he off of live? I mean imagine so but currently mine is only taking live and I also have to limit his feedings because he's messed up his swim bladder gorging himself. He seems to have fully recovered but I am still wary. I know you said yours hasn't shown any signs of aggression but what if it were a second chuatsi?

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
Wow, can I ask what size you got him? And how long it took him to get to that size? Also is he off of live? I mean imagine so but currently mine is only taking live and I also have to limit his feedings because he's messed up his swim bladder gorging himself. He seems to have fully recovered but I am still wary. I know you said yours hasn't shown any signs of aggression but what if it were a second chuatsi?
I got it around 6-7" approx 14 months ago. It sure was a task getting it off live. I have seen countless videos online of multiple chuatsi together. Currently growing out a regular colored one to add with my albino

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I got it around 6-7" approx 14 months ago. It sure was a task getting it off live. I have seen countless videos online of multiple chuatsi together. Currently growing out a regular colored one to add with my albino
Thank you very much for the response and info. I'm sorry but can I ask how you went about getting him off live? Currently I've tried frozen blood worms and freeze dried krill but I broke pretty quick as he is a recent acquisition and he's tiny about 2 inches.

justink

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
MFK'less
Thank you very much for the response and info. I'm sorry but can I ask how you went about getting him off live? Currently I've tried frozen blood worms and freeze dried krill but I broke pretty quick as he is a recent acquisition and he's tiny about 2 inches.
The best think I can advise is to constantly try and get its attention whenever you walk by the tank. Tap your fingers at the top of the tank , get it used to looking up at the surface. Start trying to dangle some small bits of meaty food right at the surface of the water and hope it goes for a piece. Might take weeks or months. Before you commit 100% to this you will need to get some weight on the little guy so he can withstand not eating for days at a time while trying to train it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store