ammonia in tap water

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
Hi i measured my tap water and it got like 2-4ppm ammonia in the tap water. i was wondering wont that convert into nitrate and my nitrate level be sky high? my tap water is city water

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Reactions: Dee eng

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
so my understanding is the chloramine have some ammonia in it so when my bacertica convert the ammonia to nitrite then nitrate then my level of nitrate wll be sky high cuz of the chloramine in the water. is that why everytime i change my water my nitrate is so high ?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I assume you are using a product to neutralize the the chloramine.
Yes there will be more Ammonia for your tank to convert but the water you’re changing with will still lower the nitrates in the tank.

I believe the answer is to monitor the nitrates and change water more often or as needed to keep the nitrates at the level you want.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
ya i use prime to neutralize the choramine. I think i have more than 40ppm within 1 week and only 1 fish

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
According to Seachem support Prime detoxifies ammonia for 24-48 hours by binding and converting it into a complexed iminium salt. This salt is a nitrogenous compound that can still be utilized by aerobic bacteria. In the same way they consume ammonia, these bacteria consume the iminium salt and release nitrite as a byproduct. Prime will also bind with nitrite and nitrate, however, it will not prevent bacteria from consuming these compounds as well. In an established tank, the beneficial bacteria should consume these things before Prime becomes inactive and releases it. If you still have ammonia/nitrite readings after 48 hours you can dose Prime again to keep them detoxified.

Reactions: tlindsey

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
ya i use prime to neutralize the choramine. I think i have more than 40ppm within 1 week and only 1 fish
That certainly is high, I don't think that ammonia is the whole reason behind high nitrates . How much nitrates in tap water, how much water do you change, what size is the fish, what fish and what's the tank size? I recently added some pothos in tank to keep nitrates low, it kept nitrates below 5 for me, down from below 20 ppm.

Richard203

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2016
i just got one fish in a 125gal tank. the fish passed away iima try bare bottom and see if i still have nitrate level very high with no fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store