Any pictures of large polar blue parrots?

swanzilla

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Chicago
Title pretty much says it all. Supposedly they can hit 8", but the biggest I've seen pictures of are about 3.5-4".

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Polar blue parrots are short-bodied Honduran redpoint convicts. They are not hybrids with red parrots, despite what you might read online.
Regular convicts can hit 6" for males and 4" for females, but since the polar blue parrots are the smaller HRP species and short bodied on top of that, I doubt you will ever see one much larger than 3".

Here is a pic I found online from MYAS's Youtube channel.
maxresdefault.jpg

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Guess that would explain why the males are fertile :)

Reactions: Red Cichlids

yangc8

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Madison, WI
Polar blue parrots are short-bodied Honduran redpoint convicts. They are not hybrids with red parrots, despite what you might read online.
Regular convicts can hit 6" for males and 4" for females, but since the polar blue parrots are the smaller HRP species and short bodied on top of that, I doubt you will ever see one much larger than 3".

Here is a pic I found online from MYAS's Youtube channel.
View attachment 1424518

Whoa... Looks better than regular parrots, but everyone has their own taste.

Reactions: Dalfrey86

swanzilla

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for the info. It's just another example of why it's important to ask questions before making an impulse buy.

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
I realize this is an old post.
I'm still curious as to how these guys were and are marketed as polar parrot cichlids. Who started that? Does the majority still say these are short bodied red points? I have had some of these for the last 8 months or so and the males are most definitely fertile lol. There are ppl in my area that swear these fish are actually BP x convicts.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are fertile because they are a pure species, just deformed. They have the name parrot attached because the have a similar appearance with the blood parrot.
A convict x bp looks like this:
1629813194145.jpeg

Theos.dad

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2021
Wow that's actually a cool looking fish. Not at all what I thought one would look like. So the polar parrots are truly Honduran redpoints with a shortbody gene/deformity then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store