Any tips on Catching Snook in South Florida Canals?

Jolseen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2006
Miami, la florida
I have caught a lot of peacock bass, LM bass...SEEN a lot of Tarpon (Not trying to catch any) but have yet to land a Snook...AND I WANT TOO! I am in Miami Dade County, near the Snake Creek Canal, but I catch most of my fish at the pond in our complex..A nice clear lake that gets virtually NO pressure...(6 pound peacock last week)..It is a secret spot I guess, Peacocks everywhere, a kid could catch 'em all day...Anyway, I wanna get some Snook!

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Good to hear lots PB by you . I am glad areas where still enough left.

My father in law has caught them recently using large live shrimp but he goes by south end of Brickel Key at the mouth of the Miami River .

I would think dead shrimp would work also as can't fathom live being better but I have never caught any only knows he loves large live shrimp. .

Did you see on news story on those guys arrested for keeping lots of snook?

They can catch them but not keep them now due to winter die off.

Nice Akita.

sickbugs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2010
barbados
different country but same fish, i have a lot of luck with snook by fishing large living bait (pilchards for me, but basically whatever bait fish you have in the area) very close to shore/docks/large rocks, snook seem to love structure, and many times ive had them take up bait that you would swear was too big for a snook. actually i caught my biggest snook (26 lbs) on a 9 inch long mullet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store