Anybody have pics of yellow Midas and info

DownWithTheCichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
I’m not sure if it’s Midas or Red Devil, but it’s yellow. And a very very awesome personality. One of my most responsive fish.

Not too aggressive yet, but will stand its ground. Very interactive with me.

91421D04-21DE-47D9-90F5-295F2D1EDB9F.jpeg 64B60286-4645-43E9-9ACB-56C920171125.jpeg 0CA7D1CA-0B48-44EA-9116-EE89BA3006EB.jpeg 4607B616-4B52-43D6-B964-CD69EF16A291.jpeg

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The fish shown above is orange and white, not yellow. Commonly referred to as a creamsicle color morph.

True yellow A. citrinellus morphs are fairly rare, Rapps imported a multi colored wild midas years ago, that was partially yellow, but I believe that it died not long after being sold. Behaviour will be the same as any other cit, color doesn't have a behavioural impact in domestic midas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

fahaka30331

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
atl
And here's a yellow midas that I used to own.

View attachment 1322516

View attachment 1322517

Which turned out was being fed a low cost commercial farm feed. Once his diet was changed to a more premium food, his color changed to this;

View attachment 1322518

View attachment 1322519
Wow interesting I notice they are a few yellows being sold on Facebook I wonder is the food the reason they are yellow...because i remember yellow being the rarest color to get... i have kept a good bit of barred and colored Cits Midas and my barred always seemed a lot more aggressive and they ate small fish when my colored ones were mild mannered and never ate fish

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I have a colored (orange) pure citrinellus that would kill anything in his path. Even when only a 3-4" fish he ran his siblings from end to end all day long, in a 6ft tank.

In fact, in nature, the "gold" colored morphs have been described by Barlow et al as being more aggro than regular barred morphs. Some interesting reading......

https://www.researchgate.net/public...and_levels_of_aggression_in_the_Midas_Cichlid

Abstract
Previous work established that gold morphs of the Midas cichlid (Cichlasoma citrinellum) dominate normal ones of about the same size. Left unresolved, however, was whether the gold morphs dominate because they are inherently more aggressive or because the gold colour inhibits aggression. The issue was clarified here by comparing levels of aggression within groups of golds only, normals only, and golds plus normals. At first the groups of golds were the least aggressive. But 2 days later the levels of aggression in the other groups fell to about that of the golds. We conclude therefore that the gold colour inhibits attack, but that this effect is only discernible in groups when they are establishing inter-individual relationships disappearing when the groups stabilize. We suggest that gold coloration inhibits attacking by stimulating fear responses.

Colour and levels of aggression in the Midas Cichlid. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222000756_Colour_and_levels_of_aggression_in_the_Midas_Cichlid [accessed Jun 30 2018].

DownWithTheCichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
The fish shown above is orange and white, not yellow. Commonly referred to as a creamsicle color morph.

True yellow A. citrinellus morphs are fairly rare, Rapps imported a multi colored wild midas years ago, that was partially yellow, but I believe that it died not long after being sold. Behaviour will be the same as any other cit, color doesn't have a behavioural impact in domestic midas.
The fish I posted pictures of started off all yellow, then started morphing. You can see in the first pictures some yellow. Now it is definitely more orange, like yours.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
James, your fish was simply a faded out creamsicle, that gained color as it matured, which is quite common with juveniles of that color morph.

A yellow adult A. citrinellus is a whole nuther thing …..

DownWithTheCichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
May 10, 2018
James, your fish was simply a faded out creamsicle, that gained color as it matured, which is quite common with juveniles of that color morph.

A yellow adult A. citrinellus is a whole nuther thing …..

Oh, weird. It started as solid yellow. Pretty strange! Thanks for clearing that up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store