Aquarium monitoring system

RowingMunkeyCU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Rochester, NY
So along with being an amateur aquarist, I'm a bit of a computer nerd too. I was wondering if anyone is using a system that is connected to a computer to monitor the conditions of their tanks (Ph, Temperature, DO, etc.)? Any advice?

thamunsta

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2005
the dark abyss
no question about it, could be done (BUT) im not saying its a common thing ive never heard about this kind of thing but its most certainly possible maby somthing like digital systems would be more practical good luck !

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i was thinkiing about that the other day

let me know if u find anythign

mkpeters6

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2005
denver/syracuse
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4506&ref=3532&subref=BF&N=2004+113762

usually controllers like the Neptune are use for highly technical reef setups that have a number of differnent parameters to test for, equipment, sumps, lights, wavemakers, etc. that need to be monitored -- ive never used one before but ive heard really good things about them - thinking of one for the future -- for a common fw tank i think it would be a little overkill but nevertheless would work

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
I use the Octopus controller from aquadyne. It monitors and controlls temp, ph, ORP, lights, wave makers,Conductivity (does not controll/ adjust conductivity). It is compatable with windows for logging data and remote controlling of the system. It will also contact me (pages me) if something in wrong with my system if it can not correct the problem itself. THis is a very basic overview of what it dose, real cool devise and a life saver if something gose wrong when I'm away.

http://www.aquadyne.com/

Joel

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
AquaWebtm II for Windows 95/98/2000/ME/NT allows our customers to manage a network of monitoring and control instruments. AquaWebtm II is a PC-based network management system that supports the centralized management of one, a few, or a few-thousand Aquadyne controllers over any telephone or IP network.

no xp and no listed price

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
The aquaweb II is not a controller. It is the sofware that you load on your PC to work with the octopus controller. In other words, you can not just buy aquweb II and monitor and controll an aquarium. YOu need the controller as well. I sell the aquaweb II for $250.00. I sell the octopus 4000 with ph & ORP probe, calabration solution and 3 x-10 sattelite modules for $630.00.

Joel

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
and thats why im OLD SCHOOL

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
They are cool little devises but for the most part are not needed on the average aquarium.

The reason I use them is because I am a business with alot of money tied up in live stock. I'm not there 24 / 7 so this helps prevent a disaster. I had a complete store wipe out several years ago because of an air conditioner failure over the 4 of July weekend. I was not there to know it happened (we were closed sunday & monday). THe shop was about 120 degrees inside (it was in the mid to upper 90's outside) when I stopped by Monday afternoon to check on everything. Nothing survived!!!!! If I had the monitoring system it cold have been detected and fixed. To add insult to injury, my insurance company found a loop hole in my policy and didn't cover the loss. I needed additional coverage to cover "spoilage" like what a grocery store would carry for like an electricity loss and thier frozen / refrigerated food goes bad.

I agree, these monitors are mostly un nesseccary for aquarium use. Great for aqua culture, zoo's and aquarium shops though.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I don't remember the brand but there is a company in Fla. that makes an alert monitor that keeps track of DO, pH, dH, salinity, temp, and turbidity. They sell other monitors as well, the cheapest thing they sell is almost $900. They have models that can be used as controllers as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store