Are these convict cichlid eggs fertile?

Claudia Calvi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
5767A027-3BB2-4F9E-99CC-34890B8EB84D.jpeg Hi! My female has laid eggs but I don’t know if they are fertile or not. There are males in the tank, which is a very new set up. She has been non stop aggressive to all of them, so how could they be fertile ? At the same time I am hoping they are!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Looks like the male missed some. The ones that are white, are infertile. The darker ones are good to go. I would take a toothpick and remove only the white ones, or they will start to grow fungus which can spread to the other eggs. Keep them in the water while doing this.

Claudia Calvi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
9496BD5D-7FC0-4BE5-8A0A-A0F18113311A.jpeg
Looks like the male missed some. The ones that are white, are infertile. The darker ones are good to go. I would take a toothpick and remove only the white ones, or they will start to grow fungus which can spread to the other eggs. Keep them in the water while doing this.
Thanks GS. Should I move the whole affair into a cup and lift that cup to relocate it to another tank. With or without the mother? I think there are going to be losses because of other fish in the tank.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I would leave them in the tank for now, this is her first spawn so I would let her learn how to raise the young in the tank. In the future if you wanted to save fry, I would wait until they are free swimming for a few days to separate, the mother will feed and provide care when newly hatched. They will probably breed like clockwork every two to four weeks, so I wouldn't be too worried about losing some. Convict mothers are vicious defenders, I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps the other fish in a corner for a while.

Reactions: Claudia Calvi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store