Arowana Acting Weird!

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
I was just on the comp, then all of a sudden i heard a loud splash.

I look over and see my arowana throwing a fit, swiming up and down running into the ground and agianst the glass. Then he just sits there and swim in the smallest circle he can.

Its weird, what is causing this?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I have no idea, did you have a small electric short in something?

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
Nope, i stuck my hand in there guessing it was the heater, everything seems fine. He did swim and hit the heater pretty hard during the fit.

But lucky me its the newer types of heaters.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Unplug all the electrical gizmos and re-plug them in one at a time and see if there is any reactions...isolate the possible electrical leak that way.
I've seen my Aro do some tail chasing at times, and just downright Skitzy behavior, for no apparent reason...
Make sure all the obvious things are in order like your H20 perameters and things like that...
Sometimes they'll just Spaz out for a few, like an Aro anxiety attack.

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
UPDATE: Its 7am And i he woke me up with his little "anxiety attack" swiming up on things agen.

Then all of a sudden, i checked to see if he was doing fine since everything got quiet.

Turned out he jump out of a 1" crack in my hood...I put him in and hes floating head up, but still alive moving and gasping for a breath once and a while.

Sadly to say, dosnt look to well.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
damn he jumped? whata freak. aro's are crazy sometimes, if theres some other fish in the tank that makes it feel uncomfortable. it'll go crazy and throw what i call 'tantrums'. some fish make them feel uneasy causing them to go into this fit. what else is in the tank with him? sounds like he might die tho since he jumped out. if he suvives you should take out all his tank mates.

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
TipStylez;637935; said:
UPDATE: Its 7am And i he woke me up with his little "anxiety attack" swiming up on things agen.

Then all of a sudden, i checked to see if he was doing fine since everything got quiet.

Turned out he jump out of a 1" crack in my hood...I put him in and hes floating head up, but still alive moving and gasping for a breath once and a while.

Sadly to say, dosnt look to well.
Prolly dinged himself really good..plug all the exits...turn down the lights...cover over your tank, all sides, except the bottom of course... and let him settle down, and see what happens...He's not diggin' something in your tank it seems, but let him have a quiet comforting,rest...

TipStylez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, i got some black water. But its not extract. Its like a tea bag with almond leaves in it. Same thing just more natrual.

Sadly, he didnt make it. But i just replaced him with a golden jardini.

I took some profesonal advice from a local arowana breeder.
He told me "since this fish is new, cover all sides of my tank with cardboard but leave a few inches open on the top so the bottom could be dark and the top is lighted like it is in the wild for them. Put a floating red ball in the tank. The two steps helps prevent drop eye.

Leave him in there for 2months in that setup, still change the water liek you would normaly do. After a couple of days, turn on your aquarium light like you would normaly do. So he gets used to the lighting. Then when the 2month peroid is over, pull the cardboard off."

So that is what im doing atm.

Also, i only have a pictus cat and a raphiel(sp) cat in there with white/tanish sand.

Im waiting on my mass order of plants so i can fully cover the bottom of the tank so my aro feels more at home and wouldnt be worryed about looking below him.

Hopefuly this all works out...$30 Silver arowana was a waste...not a $65
Jardini will be a bigger hit so im taking extreme caution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store