arowana and firemouth mix?

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
Can I have a few firemouth in with my arowanas? The 2 in The tanks are 8 and 7 inches

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
sure, but thereis a chance they will be eaten.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
I don't know much about fire mouths will 5 at around 2 inches be fine or should I grow them out first?

Swarsh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2011
UK
Personally I think they will be eaten...
And I heard that firemouths take ages to grow so...

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
OK so there's a chance they'll be eaten but a group of 5 wont kill each other or my arowana right? Unless they're mating

Kaya

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Madurai, Tamilnadu, India
Please don't do it.. The Aro will seriously whack the firemouth mouth.. I tried moving one of my Red Devil into the pond yday.. he is about 6".. the minute i dropped him in.. the aros were staking him out.. so i had to get him out.. I have firemouths too and they take a long time to grow big.. so.. i'd really not recommend this.. try prob silver dollars about 6 to 8 of them but real big ones..

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Grow the arowana out to 10-11" and then add the group of firemouth, I would use adults though. If you are currently feeding your arowana live feeders, the chances of the FMs being eaten will increase.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
I'm feeding mine arowana sticks and if the fire mouths will be at risk I don't think ill do it I was more concern about the arowanas health but since you guys think he's the one that will be doing the damage I won even try.

How many fire mouth do you think can live long term in a 55g?

JsTO97

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2024
Damm. I have to rethink my cichlids don't I? And It thought I was doing good by staying away from the standard Jaguars/Dovvii/Cubans... I was inspired by this tank
. Seems to keep all the larger Cichlids.

I have hard water, but have a softner (norther of Toronto) so I get rid of the DH, but can't get rid of the KH. PH is about 7.5-8, on the higher end for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store