Arowana broken anal fin

Bubbachuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Hi,

Just like to ask if the broken anal fin in arowana can heal? Thank you in advance

Screenshot_2019-10-15-08-45-04-937_com.facebook.orca.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should heal up. Clean water and make sure it’s eating.

Reactions: tlindsey

Bubbachuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
Welcome aboard
Nothing but clean pristine water conditions and what kno4te kno4te stated make sure the Aro is eating.
Thank you all for your reply. Actually I'm yet to buy it. Shop is selling very cheap because of this fin damage. I just want to make sure it will heal before I buy.

Reactions: tlindsey

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
My only concern would be that they are not splits but rather chunks seem to be missing. I've not kept arowana, but in my experience, splits heal really fast, but missing chunks like that heal more slowly or sometimes don't come back.

But as the others have said, with pristine water and good quality food, chances are good that it will recover.

Reactions: kno4te and tlindsey

Bubbachuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2019
My only concern would be that they are not splits but rather chunks seem to be missing. I've not kept arowana, but in my experience, splits heal really fast, but missing chunks like that heal more slowly or sometimes don't come back.

But as the others have said, with pristine water and good quality food, chances are good that it will recover.
Yes that's also my concern. Can somebody confirm that it will heal pls?

Reactions: adamsfishes

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: islandguy11

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
A potential option would be to trim off the damaged part if it doesn't heal. That has been shown in some documented cases to heal properly. There are videos on youtube about this. The damage doesn't go too deep into the fin so it seems like perhaps a viable option in this case.

Some might question the humaneness of this method. I'm not offering any opinion on that, just stating that it's successfully been done to arowana.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My advice, buy a fish that you will be happy with, not damaged goods that potentially may never heal properly, as in never looking normal. Trimming fins on an aro is another matter altogether, not for the faint of heart or for the inexperienced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store