Arowana - Cloudy eyes and tail rot/ tail biting

deep3185

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2020
Look at these images and can someone please help me.

In the beginning it was cloudy eyes and I had to isolate the infected fish which was spreading to the other Arowanas.

My water parameters are fine, changing 20 water every alternate day. Currently using Epson salt and 3rd Generation Yellow Powder from OF as advised.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: tlindsey

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
If it is tail biting, a similar thread was recently made on this subject which you may find helpful: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/own-tail-biting.749641

Your tank looks very bare. I'm thinking adding decor and substrate just might be sufficient to provide enough enrichment to stop any tail biting (as mentioned in the link).

One last thing, what do you mean by your water being 'fine'? The reason I ask is because the commonly thought of as fine 10-40 mg/l NO3 is actually too high - it should be no more than 5 mg/l taking duanes duanes ' advice, so if you have over 5 mg/l and consider it fine, it may not be.

I wish you the best of luck for this fish's recovery.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Look at these images and can someone please help me.

In the beginning it was cloudy eyes and I had to isolate the infected fish which was spreading to the other Arowanas.

My water parameters are fine, changing 20 water every alternate day. Currently using Epson salt and 3rd Generation Yellow Powder from OF as advised.

View attachment 1502514

View attachment 1502515

View attachment 1502516
Did the other arowanas attack it?
I suggest doing water changes every day or atleast 50% every other day.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica

stratos

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
My guess is it got attacked by the other Aros, then got stressed, then got fin/tail rot. If you are treating in hospital tank with "yellow powder" (antibiotics), along with salt, warm temp of 30 C, daily water changes - then it looks like it will pull through. You are obviously looking at many months to get the fins back. Provided the root of the fins and tail have not been damaged they should grow back. I'd be interested in an update in 2-3 months (assuming the fish lives).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store