Arowana Laying on the bottom

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
One of my Silver Aros is constantly laying on the bottom, and has been for several days. She won't come up to the top to eat, but does eat as food comes down to the bottom near her. She is one of five aros in a tank approximately 750G, 120x60x24, with a 24" canopy to allow for jumping. Anyone have any ideas, or does she just think she is a bottom dweller?

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
It could be that she's getting bullied. If I'm not mistaken, Delgado's siver did that not too long ago to lay eggs. There was another post about this not long ago. It seemed to be common for them to occasionally rest on the bottom, but if yours is constantly there and won't even come up to eat it might be more serious. Are there any noticable physical changes with her? Any damage to fins/scales?

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
what are your water parameters just to be safe?

cmersits

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Yorktown, New York
I would treat the tank for parasites and infections. I made the mistake of not treating my tank with the proper medicine when my arowana was acting alittle strange.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
She was the dominant Aro in the tank since i've had her. Fins and scales are all intact. Not the same behavior has Delgado's aro, or the others. As to parasites, I have treated with salt, but this isn't changing anything. As well the tank has several plecos in it, as well as the other aros, and none show any ailments. The power head might be an idea, but I have 2 Eheim pro 2 filters and they are both pushing the current almost all the way to the bottom, I have the setup vertical, not horizontal. Parameters are pH 7.1, Ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm, temp is 80°, High oxidation, 1 2026, 1 2028, 3 fluval 404., and I have a H.O.T. Magnum that I use once a week. Diet is Freeze dried krill, beefheart, some bloodworms, the occasional cricket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store