Arowana only swimming at the side of the aquarium

davidee21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2019
Singapore
Hi guys,
My Arowana suddenly only swims at the bottom side of the aquarium and keeps pressing its face on the glass at the side going back and forth. It used to swim around the whole aquarium. Now it doesn't eat that often as a result that the food I feed him only floats. Could you please help me with this problem?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi guys,
My Arowana suddenly only swims at the bottom side of the aquarium and keeps pressing its face on the glass at the side going back and forth. It used to swim around the whole aquarium. Now it doesn't eat that often as a result that the food I feed him only floats. Could you please help me with this problem?
What are your water parameters? Possibly Arowana is seeing it's own reflection and thinks it's another Arowana. If the Aro is eating sometimes that's better than not eating at all. Please test your water and do weekly water changes minimum 50% of water changed out.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
What are your water parameters? Possibly Arowana is seeing it's own reflection and thinks it's another Arowana. If the Aro is eating sometimes that's better than not eating at all. Please test your water and do weekly water changes minimum 50% of water changed out.
+1 get that water checked. Dim the lights and suggest adding plants to the sides of the glass to reduce any reflections. Also get some floating plants.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Did you change anything (e.g. lighting) in or around the tank? Other than any such environmental changes my guess is water issues, so as as others request above your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are needed.

Also how long has he been in the tank and when did this behavior start?

davidee21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2019
Singapore
Did you change anything (e.g. lighting) in or around the tank? Other than any such environmental changes my guess is water issues, so as as others request above your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are needed.

Also how long has he been in the tank and when did this behavior start?
He's been in the tank for quite a long time

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
He's been in the tank for quite a long time
Well that's a bit ambiguous ;) But anyway still the more important question is your water test results. While adding plants might help, I don't think lack of plants or even lighting issues are causing the sudden the change in behavior (pressing face against glass at sides, staying near bottom, reduced appetite), esp. if he's been in there for a long time already as you say.

Besides water test results, if you could post a short video clip that might help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store