Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
Hey guys! I was wondering can I keep my RTG with few SA nd CA cichlids. I have a 8" RTG
I'm thinking to add two 4" oscars, one 3" G Gourami, one 3" Severum, one 2" jaguar, one 2" red devil, one 2" Texas and one 3" green terror! My arowana is currently with a bichir senegalus bichir and it keeps attacking it! Which shows that the arowana is very aggressive! But would it be ok to add these fish in!?

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
lol i've kept sa cichlids before and they get big. maybe not as big as arowana but for your stocking you'd need a huge ass tank which not a lot of people can afford. 1 oscar for a 75g

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
As has been said all the above cichlids get very big, are territorial and most are agressive...
You will need a very big tank...

Before even considering your RTG... I dont think your severum and even your oscar will handle the jag's and green terror's agression once they get bigger... Just my opinion.. unless its a very big tank with lots of decor.... maybe then you might get away with it..
We had to sell a stunning jag that kept attacking my silver and everyone else... even my oscars

As for the RTG.... personaly... I believe it varies from fish to fish.. I have found sometimes they take a dislike to certain fish and others they leave alone.. so its a bit of trial and error..
My son's is with rays, some clown loaches, geos, 2 datnoids and a tigrinus
This is what we landed up with to find peace although sometimes she chases the geos a bit.

A few weeks ago we were given a few , I think they Egyptian mouthbrooders, they shoal and swim around together at the top and this distracts the RTG from getting up to mischief..

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A few weeks ago we were given a few , I think they Egyptian mouthbrooders, they shoal and swim around together at the top and this distracts the RTG from getting up to mischief
Those are blacklisted if I'm not mistaken

Stingrays often work with Arowana, aros just need a large tank and good flow which helps reduce aggression

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I have checked the 2016 list and cant find them...
Maybe not anymore. They had a massive one at a shop a while back, pushing 35-40cm

Alligator head

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2015
What can I keep with my arowana! I mean would a motoro be fine!? Removing all the cichlids! At present she's only with a bichir!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What can I keep with my arowana! I mean would a motoro be fine!? Removing all the cichlids! At present she's only with a bichir!
Motoro is good generally but is on the bigger side. How big is the tank? We need to know this to help you

MariaS

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2015
South Africa
Maybe not anymore. They had a massive one at a shop a while back, pushing 35-40cm
I think you a bit confused.. they only reach 8cm
They were actually given to Cesar as feeders together with some other fish so it didnt worry me too much although i did check the latest list..
The rays had two but Aro is not interested so.. they still swimming around...

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Maybe it was a Mozambique mouthbrooder then

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store