Arowana with Giant Gourami

Symbiosis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2007
Brisbane
Hi guys,

I have a 30cm pink giant gourami and also 35cm flagtail... looking to add either a silver arowana or saratoga leichardt... which would be most suitable and also what size should i get the fish in so the giant gourami won't kill it or beat it up too badly...

cheers

Eric

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
since aros are pretty slender you should aim for a pretty decent size aro.. 50cm or so.. gg's can be pretty nasty..

I'd say the lei is a better choice since its pretty robust! but that is pretty expensive.. (nevermind, saw you were aussie)

Tankaddict

Feeder Fish
Feb 11, 2010
Phoenix
I was wondering the exact same thing! I am desperately trying to put together a new tank setup for a silver arowana and a GG looks like a great tankmate. if I get a 125-150 gallon tank will that be to small for the two of them?

peewee

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
worked for me bruh.....even if the gg is kinda territorial sometimes, didn't inflict any damage at all. the gourami is 17" and the arowana is 27" by the way. the gg don't bite really, it's more like of a pushing.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Tankaddict;3878995; said:
I was wondering the exact same thing! I am desperately trying to put together a new tank setup for a silver arowana and a GG looks like a great tankmate. if I get a 125-150 gallon tank will that be to small for the two of them?
Yes, it will be small for the silver itself at 30"+, even with the 150g wide of 24" width. About the GG, it will get pretty big too and it will need space due to its aggressive & territorial temperament. Thus, the silver may not last long with the GG. One more thing, when having both in the same tank, you ought to have a serious filtration system in your setup.

I really want a GG to be with my jardini, but my tank is barely enough just for the jar.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Yes, I know it's been done; I'd seen it in person. I was just talking about making sure the tank was big enough for them, which was asked by tankaddict. 150g is not big enough for both, IMHO.

conig

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2009
tallahassee, fl

shua

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2009
kenmore wa
the lfs i go to has them in the same tank. 3, 3' arrows and one 1 1/2' gg they seam to be cool together

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store