At what size does the Nicaragua Cichlid start to color up?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
How is the tank set up? Most cichlids will show washed out colors in bright surroundings or minimal hiding spots. Stress from tankmates will also wash out colors.

Reactions: tlindsey

CichlidMan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2024
Welcome to the forum!
How is the tank set up? Most cichlids will show washed out colors in bright surroundings or minimal hiding spots. Stress from tankmates will also wash out colors.
Thanks for the reply, its a 100 gallon, I have some large branches, driftwood and rocks in that tank for the fish to hide, the water has tannins. For tankmates:9 buenos aires tetra, 5 colombian tetra, 3 skirt tetrs, 1 3-spot gourami at four inches, 1 female pink convict at 1.5 inch, 1 female black convict at 1 inch. and a 2 inch electric blue acara(prob also female), I used to have a 3.5 inch female red hump geo but took it out because it became far too aggressive for the nica cichlid. Now only the pink convict occassionally tries to fight it. After the geo is removed, the nica cichlid became more active and does come to glass surf in front of the tank, but it still acts pretty docile and timid sometimes.

CichlidMan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2024
I see, so these fishes take a while before they color up. Thanks for showing me the pic.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I see, so these fishes take a while before they color up. Thanks for showing me the pic.
Yep, pretty slow maturing compared to some of their closer relatives (convicts).
4" juvenile I caught in Costa Rica:
1000008817.jpg
7-8" male caught half an hour later:
1000008831.jpg

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Yep, pretty slow maturing compared to some of their closer relatives (convicts).
4" juvenile I caught in Costa Rica:
View attachment 1546139
7-8" male caught half an hour later:
View attachment 1546140
Gorgeous fish, wonder why they never caught on. Maybe the fact they don’t color up until later makes them less marketable. Had an adult group years ago and they’re magnificent and well mannered. Sadly, haven’t seen them for over a decade at LFS

Reactions: CichlidMan64

CichlidMan64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2024
Gorgeous fish, wonder why they never caught on. Maybe the fact they don’t color up until later makes them less marketable. Had an adult group years ago and they’re magnificent and well mannered. Sadly, haven’t seen them for over a decade at LFS
To be honest, if I knew I had to wait for these fish to get that big before they color up without getting the guranteed sex I want, I would have had second thoughts before I bought mines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store