B. filamentosum Info

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Such a beautiful catfish and I'm lucky enough to get here before the catfish experts have gotten here, lucky me. I'll be watching this thread eager see what thebiggerthebetter has to say :D

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Has it not come from Wes?? I assumed it has.

I used to see this kind of piraiba only in Wes' photos and no other vendor.

Wes and I have identified it as a true piraiba in our private communications with you. It looks different from other piraiba babies we see with spots all over, not just rear half, and the spots are smaller. But it is a piraiba as it doesn't look like a false piraiba aka B. capapretum. That fish has large spots all over its body and I have never seen anything different. All the capas I've seen looked consistent.

As for another trait, the head structure of capa differs from this fish, which has the head of a true piraiba.

My experience is probably covered in its current entirety in the thread dedicated to my current 3 piraibas - one's from Wes, from Suriname, got it already large at 18" and the other two I was told from Peru, from Discus Origins Mark Chen, these were ~5" and had small spots all over: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/7755699

Kingrancher2011

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2014
O-H-I-O
I hate bringing new fish home and there not eating. I seen him eat blood worms before I bought him. Hopefully he eats soon. Going to try and feed tilapia tonight.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I have not had any problems with piraibas starting to feed, when they are comfortable.

The bigger one from Wes presented an irregular feeding pattern but this was because I kept the 18" fish with 2'-4' barbels and extensions in a measly 240 8x2x2 until around 20"-22", when it got too skittish.

But all in all, I didn't have to do anything special to get them to start on my staple of catfish farm pellet and frozen marine bait fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store