Badly swollen and infected lips

Luke fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
I have a male green terror about 3 years of age and approx 9-10 inches in my 740 lt tank with a female they are a breeding pair.
Recently moved into this tank from a 520

All was fine until they started to exhibit breeding behaviour and the male started lip locking with a similar sized male zonatus and has roughed up his ( green terror) lips quite badly so I removed the pair and poped them into a 190 that I have running with a female festae in it by herself and I moved her into the 520.
The problem is that the green terrors lips have gotten quite swollen and painful looking so I treated him with king British fin rot and fungas treatment two days ago but he appears to be getting worse and has developed little white spots 5or 6 of them they look like little white head pimples and he is now starting to go off his food.
I starting to get very worried about him any ideas????
I've never had this issue before I've had lip locking over the years but have always caught it in plenty of time and little scratches and skuffs have always healed.
Has anybody any ideas

Luke fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
I have a male green terror about 3 years of age and approx 9-10 inches in my 740 lt tank with a female they are a breeding pair.
Recently moved into this tank from a 520

All was fine until they started to exhibit breeding behaviour and the male started lip locking with a similar sized male zonatus and has roughed up his ( green terror) lips quite badly so I removed the pair and poped them into a 190 that I have running with a female festae in it by herself and I moved her into the 520.
The problem is that the green terrors lips have gotten quite swollen and painful looking so I treated him with king British fin rot and fungas treatment two days ago but he appears to be getting worse and has developed little white spots 5or 6 of them they look like little white head pimples and he is now starting to go off his food.
I starting to get very worried about him any ideas????
I've never had this issue before I've had lip locking over the years but have always caught it in plenty of time and little scratches and skuffs have always healed.
Has anybody any ideas

Luke fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Well he died today a fantastic fish he was 11inches , didn't realise he was that big and never had any difficulty with him a joy to watch and a gentle soul.
Haven't lost a fish to anything other than old age in a long long time.
I think I'll strip down the tank and start again not sure really what to do as I'm not exactly sure what killed him.
Any suggestions??

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
No answers for you as I'm not a cichlids owner and no experience with them. Sorry for the loss.

Reactions: Luke fox

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Here is series of shots showing how duck lips develop from almost imperceptable to very severe, and obvious.
The fish usually presents itself very lethargic, hardly moving, and quits eating as the jaws atrophy.

This is a very severe, and communicable disease caused by gram - bacteria, which become very virulent at temps of 82'F and above, usually fatal. If this is what your fish had, treating the infected tank(s) with a antibiotic aimed toward killing gram negative bacteria may be needed. If there aren't any fish left in the tank, I usually pour in a couple quarts of hydrogen peroxide to oxidize any remaining active spores. Pockets of detritus are places the bacteria and spores harbor, and spores can even remain viable in damp mud.

Reactions: kno4te and Luke fox

Luke fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2016
Here is series of shots showing how duck lips develop from almost imperceptable to very severe, and obvious.
The fish usually presents itself very lethargic, hardly moving, and quits eating as the jaws atrophy.

This is a very severe, and communicable disease caused by gram - bacteria, which become very virulent at temps of 82'F and above, usually fatal. If this is what your fish had, treating the infected tank(s) with a antibiotic aimed toward killing gram negative bacteria may be needed. If there aren't any fish left in the tank, I usually pour in a couple quarts of hydrogen peroxide to oxidize any remaining active spores. Pockets of detritus are places the bacteria and spores harbor, and spores can even remain viable in damp mud.
Thanks Duanes

Do you think King British fin rot and fungus is a suitable product for this as I have been treating the tank now for three days with it.
Fin Rot & Fungus Control (contains 2-Phenoxyethanol 5.66 %w/w) [1] At least that's what I think the active ingredient is. Do you think I should keep dosing with it for a few more days (daily) or start water changing it out along with charcoal
Regards luke

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've never used those products, but most fungus products do contain somewhat of an antibiotic, the manufacturer knowing many things that look like fungus are bacterial. But whether those meds are strong enough to combat ducklips (Flexibactor columnaris) .
Here's a link, with some good info. When it shows up in one of my tanks, I usually just figure its a total loss, and if turns out not to be, its a very pleasant surprise.
dreaded flexibacter - The Koi Keepers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store