Batrochoglanis sp. 2?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Got 3 of these guys as Batrochocoglanis sp. 2 and was looking for other opinions as I believe they maybe something else. Forgive the audio I had a rough day and did the video in rush and recorded the TV audio playing in the background. Had to remove all the decor to get one of these guys and the tank is a catfish tank and pandemonium broke out. Hence the heavy breathing of the fish in the little specimen tank and I may have even been the one who tore the little guy's tail.
D6E28C96-DDE2-4ADC-BE11-9C00F4A49BF4.jpeg

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
In my humble opinion, batrochoglanis Sp-2 as shown in the Cat-eLog on PlanetCatfish likely to be the same as b. villosus. Yours is from Colombia according to your source, mine came from Peru. Rather than blather on about batrochoglanis as I could but won't, I''ll refer the subject to a relevant and lengthy post found on PlanetCatfish in the 'Travellers Notebook Forum' there, the post titled "Fishes near Iquitos" by 'bekateen', with much discussion from he, I and others should prove to be very informative...

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
The last thing I would want to do is to convey any mis-information and now feel the need to correct something I said on the aforementioned PC thread. It's regarding what I said about having a Colombian batrochoglanis transmontanus, that was an assumption based on what data about the species I could find at the time. My research revealed at the time that the only batrochoglanis species that was endemic to Colombia was b. transmontanus. Current information now includes that b. villosus is also a native species there too. The fish I received then (from the same source as koltsixx's) I assumed to be transmontanus just because they came from Colombia but after more research and finding the source of their collection, The Rio Ariari in Colombia, a tributary of the Orinoco, in the northeast region of Colombia, so it seems that the fish in question were b. villosus after all. They are endemic to the Orinoco River basin as well as many other places in South America. B. transmontanus are only endemic to coastal river basins in Colombia. Just based on the geography involved, the coastal rivers found there are separated from the Orinoco basin rivers by what's called the Andes Mountain Range I believe, so there shouldn't be any confusion about fish found there if you can find where they were sourced. Reading my posts there, they seem dated as back then since we were still calling fish in the genus Cephalosilurus are now Lophiosilurus. Now they, lophiosilurus and batrochoglanis are now classified as the group or sub clade of the family pseudopimelodidae , now designated as Batrochoglaninae. Some might say "Dude, your information from then is like so 2021!" Well I do try to keep up...

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Again, thank you Yellowcat Yellowcat for the clarification and information. I don't often ask where a fish is sourced because in my experience many of the vendors, I did ask didn't know exact locations. There info on the source was usually very general. So usually, I take a chance or if they have a pic or video do my best to ID them myself. Lol, I remember Cephalosilurus and when Apurensis, Fowleri and Nigricauda were the only fish in that Genera. It was a surprise to me when they all moved to Lophiosilurus to join Alexandri.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store