Prefer hand washing vs washing machine.
4 socks in line .
1" PVC pipe for sock holder.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Is there a "Best Filter Sock"? I think the micron size and how fast the filter sock plugs will depend a lot on the water conditions, what is in the tank and how messy the tank inhabitants are.

I have had good luck with the Nylon mesh filter bags as they seem easier to clean than the felt socks. Cheap socks seem to fall apart faster than the more costly ones. I think I am running 200 micron socks now. I like to clean the socks frequently to remove the waste before it starts to break down to nitrogen compounds so really easy access to the socks is what I try for in my sump designs.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I have have one nylon mesh sock, usually stuffed with floss. As it plugs up quick.

My new sump, for a messy overfed, over stocked african cichild tank. Is going to be prefiltered with a 300 micron DIY Stainless steel sieve. To pull excess food. Before a fluidized algea scrubber, basically similar to K1 but with algea growing media. That will be sluffing off fine algea growth about 1/2 cup per week.
The filter socks are after the algea ball process.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Is there a "Best Filter Sock"? I think the micron size and how fast the filter sock plugs will depend a lot on the water conditions, what is in the tank and how messy the tank inhabitants are.

I have had good luck with the Nylon mesh filter bags as they seem easier to clean than the felt socks. Cheap socks seem to fall apart faster than the more costly ones. I think I am running 200 micron socks now. I like to clean the socks frequently to remove the waste before it starts to break down to nitrogen compounds so really easy access to the socks is what I try for in my sump designs.
How often?
I try to do mine every 4 days, but usually overflow before I notice my floss tray.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
In my 220G, and sump I am using 100 Microns filter socks. I have a BeanAnimal Overflow, so I am using 3 socks for each drains. Due to 100 Microns socks, my entire sump tanks and media are debris free and I havent got my hands inside for sump/media cleaning for more than 5 months now. Also cleaning display tank is easy, no need for scrubbing the glass etc.

My main drain line filter socks I change once in 2 weeks. And Secondary line once every month. I change the socks of the emergency line once a couple of months.

I dont wait for the socks to overflow and change them before that and then clean them in washing machine and dry them once I collect 5-6 socks from this.

Of course, it all depends on the fish, eating habits, waste accumulation and the flow rate etc. Having 100 microns have its benefits, however, it needs faster cleaning/replacements. But I feel its better to replace socks faster than the effort involved in cleaning the sump tank, media and display tanks.

Reactions: markstrimaran

taksan

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2005
I use 50 micron socks ...and they clog up really fast and are very hard to clean however I got a box of 1000 ( yep 1000) from China that cost me like 25¢ each so I basically just change them out. Sometimes I wash the old ones in the machine on deep cycle then bleach and rinse them. I get maybe 3 washes out of them before they start to disintegrate but so cheap I often just discard them.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
My new sump, for a messy overfed, over stocked african cichild tank. Is going to be prefiltered with a 300 micron DIY Stainless steel sieve. To pull excess food.
I am looking forwards to seeing your sieve implementation and hear your feedback on it. I think I ran across another post of yours in which you described a curved sieve that is somewhat self cleaning like a Cetus Sieve used for pond filters? I really like this idea as it pushes the waste out of the water stream as water flows through it.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20180929_135507.jpg
This is my concept tank, with 150 gph flow. The cheap SS 300 micron screen 12 x 24 is about $10 vs $300 for a wedge wire. So far a quick power wash restores flow, in my smaller test run trials.

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
I use 50 micron socks ...and they clog up really fast and are very hard to clean however I got a box of 1000 ( yep 1000) from China that cost me like 25¢ each so I basically just change them out. Sometimes I wash the old ones in the machine on deep cycle then bleach and rinse them. I get maybe 3 washes out of them before they start to disintegrate but so cheap I often just discard them.
Alibaba or where did you source? Asking for a friend, and by friend I mean myself.

Reactions: narayanang76
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store