Best Bio filtration media?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I know this could possibly start a big debate but that is what i need. In your opinion, what is the best non-commercial biological filter media? ie. lava rock pot scrubbers? I need a ton of it like enough to fill a 50 gallon drum worth. what is the best and dont cost an arm and a leg?

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Id probably go for a fluidized set up with K1, But if you want something more traditional the cheapest would be lava rock. I have no data on surface area but the 3 top brands are probably sea chem matrix, ehiem substrate pro and marine pure ceramic biomedia. Based on popularity in the hobby for larger scale bio filtration.

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Carbon coming through magnitudes ahead.
Ive got 10 pounds of it in my sump. Feeling confident in my surface area. Curious what shape it was in when the data was taken.

Reactions: dr exum

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Carbon coming through magnitudes ahead.
Ive got 10 pounds of it in my sump. Feeling confident in my surface area. Curious what shape it was in when the data was taken.
Much of the surface area of lignite is too small for bacteria to effectively utilize... the pore structure is small enough it can trap molecules after all. That's not to say that lignite can't be used as a bio media, it can and is, but the surface area listed in the figure above is deceiving with respect to its true potential as a bio media.

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
ok i was thinking lava rock would be a good choice for my bio chamber. i have used the seachem matrix for years in my aquariums and it is outstanding. i know seachem also makes a pond matrix but im sure that it is exponentially more expensive than lava rock. i may also may use them floor scrubber pads in my other chamber for a dual purpose of mechanical filtration with a bit of bio mixed in with it. mainly for the mechanical. i belive that i will filtering about 2000 gallons of water. so i am thinking one of them 50 gallon plastic drums should be enough biomedia for that.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Reactions: Polyaddict86

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
This is my lava rock bio-tower I have used as bio filter for years, it handles 5 tanks, 3 300 gallons without ammonia spikes. It is about 8" in diameter, and 4 ft tall, a scrubby on top to catch debris, filled with a couple bags of gardening lava rock..
Bio media is just basically a surface/substrate for beneficial bacteria to live on, asking what is best is like asking whether a blond is better than a brunette.

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
This is my lava rock bio-tower I have used as bio filter for years, it handles 5 tanks, 3 300 gallons without ammonia spikes. It is about 8" in diameter, and 4 ft tall, a scrubby on top to catch debris, filled with a couple bags of gardening lava rock..
Bio media is just basically a surface/substrate for beneficial bacteria to live on, asking what is best is like asking whether a blond is better than a brunette.

duane what do you do to prep the garden lava rocks before using?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store