best food for baby snakehead to grow fast

jord-price

Feeder Fish
Jan 8, 2016
I have a 2-3 inch baby rainbow snake head im feeding him on frozen bloodworm and hes to small to eat a whole cube and theres loads of waste,would cutting up sprats in to an edible size work better as i can control portians and also ive heard they will make them grow faster,
Thanks guys.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Do not feed beef heart. You are correct about them not being able to digest it properly. It's a terrible food source, It might yield fast growth but also results in failing health and short life span .

Meal worms, or other insect diet is ideal for channa and yields a good growth rate. A quality pellet food is also good , personally I like to use both with insects as the main staple.

The more varriety the better. Watch carefully not to over feed especially during the winter months. The subtropical Channa are prone to obesity and they'll gladly eat themselves to death if allowed too !

jord-price

Feeder Fish
Jan 8, 2016
Do not feed beef heart. You are correct about them not being able to digest it properly. It's a terrible food source, It might yield fast growth but also results in failing health and short life span .

Meal worms, or other insect diet is ideal for channa and yields a good growth rate. A quality pellet food is also good , personally I like to use both with insects as the main staple.

The more varriety the better. Watch carefully not to over feed especially during the winter months. The subtropical Channa are prone to obesity and they'll gladly eat themselves to death if allowed too !
Live pr dead meal worm?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I feed live meal worms, although I'm sure they'll take them dead if you preferred .

I'd think live would be more nutritious then those dried up things in a can though.

You can also "gut load" live meal worms for an even more nutritious meal by sticking them with some fresh veggies for a bit and letting them chow down before feeding them to the channa.

Reactions: jord-price

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Meal worms are also ridiculously easy to breed for a cheap food source .

Last edited:

jord-price

Feeder Fish
Jan 8, 2016
I feed live meal worms, although I'm sure they'll take them dead if you preferred .

I'd think live would be more nutritious then those dried up things in a can though.

You can also "gut load" live meal worms for an even more nutritious meal by sticking them with some fresh veggies for a bit and letting them chow down before feeding them to the channa.
Ok i think i will give that a shot thanks

chronick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I've had some great success feeding krill as well. India has a massive distribution of cardinia species within in region, so it is a primary food source for many animals and especially fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store