Best Substrate for Bichirs?

cheeseb0y

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
Indiana, USA
I was originally planning on going bare bottom painted black, but lately I've been considering:
Carib Sea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon Sand
SeaChem Onyx Sand
SeaChem Flourite Black Sand

If I go with substrate, I can hide a layer of Egg Crate underneath it to help keep black slate and other rocks from touching the glass bottom, as well as hiding any silicone sealant I might use to anchor any rock or driftwood to the bottom.

I'm also unsure if sand is the best choice compared to a larger grain substrate. I'm not planning on any planting aside from Moss Balls and plants that can be anchored to the driftwood.

So, any opinions?

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
Here in Japan 99% of Bichir enthusiasts use crushed quartz or Garnet.

It is a very red/orange color, and brings out the best contrast on the fish.
It is also very very heavy, much more so than sand so it doesn't go up the filter so much.

That said 4 of my 6 tanks have black sand in. Not really sure what it is, but it too is incredibly heavy.

These tanks are ones I use to house my Bichirs that have green to them (such as Bichir Bichir/Lapradei etc) as the black boosts this.
But fish that don't have so much or any green (Endlis etc) tend to go all over very dark and pattern contrast isn't so strong.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Sand is a good substrate for Bichirs. I use Black Tahitian Moon Sand in one of my tanks and the other I use Quartz Sand. Both tanks have Bichirs. If you're not going to do a planted tank, I would just stick to the Moon Sand.

JustinDavis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
West Palm Beach
I use a special ordered gravel from my lfs, it's to big for them to fit in their mouths and it's extremely smooth with no sharp edges for them to cut themselves.

Justin

gar man

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
iowa
+1 for pfs, I have it in my 55 with my senegals and I'm very happy with it.

fishticuffs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2010
colorado
i use 3m black color quartz s grade or t grade

tokyogasmask

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Japan
The way I look at it, the 6 glass boxes of mine, take up a lot of room in my house, so I want them to look pleasing.

My preference is the crushed quartz. It is expensive, but no other substrate brings out the contrast and patterns as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store