Black ear catfish care advices

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
I bought a black ear catfish today, wanted to know does it has a diet same to a paroon shark. Asked a local hobbyist who reared 2 he says black ears like shrimp and pellets, they are more calmer than paroons and almost had a similar look any advices or use the same way of rearing paroon sharks ?

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-29 at 9.48.18 PM.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME they are similar indeed to paroon. One big difference is the size. Our experience is reported here:

paroon shark

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2009
MA
They are similar to paroons mostly in appearance in my experience. Their behavior is must more skittish and they are far more easily spooked. Paroons are much more confident in their space. Good thing is black ears don't seem to share the same love of swallowing fish near the same size as them, but they will get more aggressive as they gain size. Overall, beautiful fish and fun to keep. Please post updates!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... Their behavior is must more skittish and they are far more easily spooked. Paroons are much more confident in their space. Good thing is black ears don't seem to share the same love of swallowing fish near the same size as them, but they will get more aggressive as they gain size.
Precisely our experience too. Thank you.

Reactions: paroon shark

ILOVESHARKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2021
Malaysia
They are similar to paroons mostly in appearance in my experience. Their behavior is must more skittish and they are far more easily spooked. Paroons are much more confident in their space. Good thing is black ears don't seem to share the same love of swallowing fish near the same size as them, but they will get more aggressive as they gain size. Overall, beautiful fish and fun to keep. Please post updates!
great, after learning they are pussies :lol3:so i bought another one after that they started eating started to feed them chicken, shrimp and fishes

Kenneth_jordan

Feeder Fish
Oct 22, 2024
update: all are doing well, fed them with sinking pellets they go in a frenzy like paroons good thing they dind't had the reputation of swallowing any living things in it's way like the paroon
Hi there. I just got my 12 centimeters Black Ear Catfish anf its been five days but it doesn't want to eat yet. Previous seller said that he gives sinking pellets, but it ignores it. Do you have any advice? Sorry for my bad english.

Reactions: AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store