Black Ghost Knife being housed temporarily in a 55 gallon.

BitRot

Feeder Fish
Oct 1, 2024
Hello I am having some algae problems in my 125 Tank. In that tank I have a ghost knife about 5 inches along with a couple bichirs around 8-10 inches, an ornate and a delhezi.
I ordered some nerite snails to see if they were any good but I read that the ghost knife will eat all of them so I thought I could temporarily house him in my 55 gallon tank which has some 2 juvenile zigzag eels and 2 juvenile sengal bichirs. Is there any problem with this configuration I know the BGK will outgrow the 55 but perhaps he would be fine for a while? Please let me know your thoughts I also understand snails are a band aid fix for the algae.

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
I see no issues with this, other than I have never heard of a BGK eating snails....I'm sure if there is a will, there's a way...but you should be fine regardless.

Looking for another knife to replace my 14yo reticulated knife that recently paseed

BitRot

Feeder Fish
Oct 1, 2024
I see no issues with this, other than I have never heard of a BGK eating snails....I'm sure if there is a will, there's a way...but you should be fine regardless.

Looking for another knife to replace my 14yo reticulated knife that recently paseed
Everything I read online says they will destroy snails. If you want I can just give it too you I’m having some weird problems with my planted tank and I feel bad for it because the nitrates are always super high. I’ve never shipped fish or anything before but I thought i’d offer since it seems you have much more experience with BGK.

AR1

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
Hello I am having some algae problems in my 125 Tank. In that tank I have a ghost knife about 5 inches along with a couple bichirs around 8-10 inches, an ornate and a delhezi.
I ordered some nerite snails to see if they were any good but I read that the ghost knife will eat all of them so I thought I could temporarily house him in my 55 gallon tank which has some 2 juvenile zigzag eels and 2 juvenile sengal bichirs. Is there any problem with this configuration I know the BGK will outgrow the 55 but perhaps he would be fine for a while? Please let me know your thoughts I also understand snails are a band aid fix for the algae.
Welcome to MFK!

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
Like mentioned, there should be no issue with a bgk that size in a 55 for a bit.
You’ll be much better off finding the root cause for the algae though. You mentioned nitrates are high, which is fuel for algae growth. The best way to fix that is reduced stocking or increased water changes. Live plants also will outcompete algae for nutrients (but only if you have a lot of them).

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store