Black water any good for arowanas??

vsrawal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
India
Hey guys I have always wondered if black water is any good for crossbacks . I am currently using OF Arowana Black water along with Aqua zonic extreme Beneficial bacteria with Aqua zonic multi vitamins. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in the fish in terms of growth, colour or appetite. Is it any good or could you guys suggest anything better.
And also I want to add some bottom feeders any suggestions.
Sent from my GT-I9500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1370191212398.jpg

lyzheng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2012
Amazon
Black water is great for all arowanas. The most important thing that it offers is preventing disease, especially in stale water, or water that doesn't get changed often (this is why a lot of people use it for bettas). What you want is to create the "amber" effect - when the water looks like the color of an amber. The best black water creation comes from dried Indian almond leaves. Almond leaves are much better than bottled black water extract. It is more raw and last much longer. Black water can help bring out the color of your fish, but not always. It is helping to bring out the color of my baby back arowana. My back arow is also more active with the use of blackwater.
June 1 2013 003.JPG

June 1 2013 003.JPG

Reactions: Bonytang

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Personally I'm not a fan of bottled additives like the ones you mention, there should be no reason for adding beneficial bacteria to an established tank, you're literally tipping money down the drain. I think black water could be beneficial to arowana, but I'd prefer to use more natural ways of getting it like peat, IAL, Alder etc etc.

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
+1
As David mentioned here... If you want black water then do it the natural way. You could easily get some IAL around you.
Btw... Why do you need to turn your water black by adding so additives. You are better off without these stuff. And for coloration give your aros nice variety of food with clean water they will color up well.
Good luck.

AJmen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2013
PH
+1 to the previous comments. Those additives might only stress your fish. I am pretty sure that your tank has already cycled so take the beneficial bacteria additives etc. away. You can also use ketapang leaves (we use it here in the Phil, don't know what you use in your country) as well for the black water. As for the coloration and growth, a good supply of protein and kerotin diet, clean water and large tank size, good lightning and black or blue(?) background will most likely do the trick.

Reactions: Bonytang

vsrawal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
India
i honestly wasnt very keen on all these products but i was told they were pretty good to mimic the arowanas natural habitat in a tank.I have added some IAL recently waiting to see some good results.But is it true that the water ph has be bit up for red aros and opposite for golds or visa versa?
I am also thinking some bottom feeders any suggestions?

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
These Aros what you get are farm bred and not wild caught. They have been kept at the LFS for sometime and adjust to our local water very well. even if you going to add IAL then there has to be a consistent level of PH that you need to maintain. But why go through all this trouble. Aros are one of the easiest fish to keep. All they need is good clean water, Big tank dimensions and a variety of food. Get these things done and you will see their colors pop.
What is your tank dimensions for us to suggest any bottom dwellers. Where about in India are you from?

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
You may have to up your tank size later on. The Mumbai waters are fine for your aro.
For bottom feeders depending on the size of the Aro I would go for a school of clown loaches. They will add some nice color as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store