Blackwater Extract for Arowana??

GhostFishpa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2009
Florida
Is Blackwater Extract good for a Silver Arowana? And will it affect my other fish in the same tank (Parrot Fish)?

sodenoshirayuki

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Toronto
Im pretty sure your aro will love you more if you took that time to do some more water changes instead of worrying about black water extract (not saying that you dont enough w/c BTW). They do perfectly fine without it.

Cypher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Toronto, Canada
it helps make the water softer and lowers the pH of the water due to the peat. For what they charge here for Blackwater its not really worth it IMO. Your water is going to get dark. Similar to that of tea.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
I agree with Sode. Blackwater extracts aren't necessary but if you insist, try the cheaper alternative such as oak leaves, peat moss or Indian almond leaves (for those in Asia).

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
i would add a half dose and see how he reacts ;)

meanbestorque

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2008
Hawaii
It gives a certain calming effect by adjusting water parameters accordingly. It does tint the water as well, but I like it because it decreases algae growth.

Blixc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
Malaysia
I'm not recommend that the silver aro having the dark water. Since u have do changing water once after 3 days, that's will be fine. Silver aro is not sensitive on PH. Don't worry too much on this. Take it easy and enjoy it.

mfk4life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
California
isn't that stuff for brackish water fish...

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
mfk4life;2737214; said:
isn't that stuff for brackish water fish...
No. Brackish water setups usually have higher pH and hardness levels. Tannins lower the pH if your hardness levels are low which in brackish setups, this is not the case. Perhaps you are confusing this with something else?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store