Blue Crayfish turning brown??

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Morrisville, North Carolina
I just bought what I thought was an electric blue crayfish. When I got him he was about 2 inches long and totally blue. However, he just shed his skin for the first time and he is now much more brown than blue. Is this a permanent change or will his blue coloration come back? Is there something I can feed him or something I can do to his environment to get his blue coloration back??

Nabbig2

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 28, 2007
California
Hmmmm...Well crayfish are blue due to a rare genetic formationi. (Actually not that rare anymore.) He might just turn out to be more brown, but I'm sure he will be fine.

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
I actually heard that true blue crayfish get more blue with age, but I don't know what the technical name of the true blue species is...but I'm thinking I might have been ripped off. Anyone else had this happen to them??

buck_wildest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Tampa, FL
Most of the time after a molt they do turn darker. Give them some time and clean water lots of food and they should get back to blue. Your fish my also have been a cross between brown and blue. if so go your probably our of luck. most stores will not refuund because of this. they have no way to prove you didnt switch the fish.

BTB0923

Candiru
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
I found out that the crayfish I bought is actually an Australian "Blue" Yabby. They are bred to be blue, and for the first day after every time mine sheds he definitely has a more blueish tint...but then turns back to more of a brown shade. The lfs has told me that it will turn more blue with age, but I'm not sure if they really know what they are talking about. Has anyone had an experience where their "Blue" Yabby has turned more blue the older it got??

dde1878

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2008
madera, ca
i have had hundreds of crawdads that were blue. im not sure if it is the ph or what but in some tanks of mine they stay blue and in others they turn red. basically i think you got burned by the lfs. my lfs wanted to buy about 50 of mine to sell as blue crayfish but i wouldn't do it considering that they may turn red.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store