Brachyplatystoma id

Texasrockwell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
I was trying to buy a Brachyplatystoma filamentosum and the company sent me pictures of the fish. I told him that I didn't think that this was a Fila, but I wanted to get some other opinions. Check out the pictures and any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
What's the size and the asking price?

Is it from ECZS?

It'd help to see what the business end looks like.

It does resemble either a piraiba or a false piraiba if the fish is 2' or longer.

Reactions: monkeybike

Texasrockwell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
What's the size and the asking price?

Is it from ECZS?

It'd help to see what the business end looks like.

It does resemble either a piraiba or a false piraiba if the fish is 2' or longer.
The fish is 18" long and they want $600 (which seems cheap for a Fila).

Texasrockwell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
I think I am going to buy the fish anyway, do you guys think $600 is a good deal even if it's a Capapretum? It is allegedly 18" long.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
At 18", filamentosum probably should still have a bit of the spots left. vincentwugwg vincentwugwg and mine came from Suriname and are the same ~1.5' and still have the spots. Vince has one from Peru too - I've been meaning to ask Vince to post pics of his two filas in a dedicated thread to compare.

If this is a capapretum with an intact snout, it might be worth $600 albeit it may be a bit high but these are very rarely available at such sizes and even rarer do people succeed raising them to such sizes with an intact, not bent down from much bashing, snout.

Texasrockwell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
Snout is bad. I got some pics from the front:
image.jpeg image.jpeg
I am going to go with a smaller one, it looks to be in pretty good shape.
image.jpeg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, given the absence of spots and bent down snout, I'm rather sure this is a capapretum.

The smaller one looks like a capa to me too. I've been wrong before but I'd predict you won't be able to keep its snout intact. The fish is very skittish. Frightens easy and swims full speed until hits something. Often several times on a row.

I am not aware of a single specimen with an intact nose raised in captivity. Maybe someone is.

3"-4" capa is usually ~$100 retail. Fila is 10x or more expensive but has been exceedingly hard to find, almost never available.

Texasrockwell

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2015
Yes, given the absence of spots and bent down snout, I'm rather sure this is a capapretum.

The smaller one looks like a capa to me too. I've been wrong before but I'd predict you won't be able to keep its snout intact. The fish is very skittish. Frightens easy and swims full speed until hits something. Often several times on a row.

I am not aware of a single specimen with an intact nose raised in captivity. Maybe someone is.

3"-4" capa is usually ~$100 retail. Fila is 10x or more expensive but has been exceedingly hard to find, almost never available.
I agree, I thought was a capa as well. The guy is very stubborn and insists its a Fila. I am confused on the name of the business as I was passed around to several people, but the company appears to be called Undercurrent Imports.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Never heard of them.

Only highly reputable and caring vendors would take an ID challenge from a customer seriously, not to mention that fila versus capa versus etc. is a very tough one. Moreover, it's not in vendor interest to chase fish ID.

Reactions: Texasrockwell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store