Brackish Stingrays

Goanna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2008
Staten Island NY
Doing some research online, I have come across two species of Ray that are available in the pet trade that can live in brackish water.

The FL Atlantic Stingray, Daystus sabina and the Asian FW Stingray, Himantura signifer.

While neither species is common in the trade, they do make it in from time to time. TFD actually has the later on their list right now being sold as "Borneo Stingray" and they even specify it being a brackish species. The Atlantic Ray has popped up for sale here on MFK a few times in the past year as well.

Both of these species get to a similar size, around 24", and they even have a similar look to them (in fact, when I first saw the TFD listing on aquabid I thought it was an atlantic ray). Venom toxicity is aparently different though, as the asian species apprently can be fatal.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if there are any other Ray's that can survive in brackish water? Particularly if there are any dwarf species. Or, are these two basically all that makes it into the trade occasionally?

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
I believe those are the only 2 available. From what I hear, they very hard to keep. People have better luck keeping the Atlantic Ray in a saltwater setup.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
The Atlantic ray is better suited to salt water. Pretty much any of your river rays are going to do better in fresh water. Haven't seen any Himantura rays offered for sale.

Deano1956

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Morris, IL.
The atlantic rays are pretty far up the st. johns river where it is completly fresh water I have read. Toms Caribbean sells them

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Deano1956;3218637; said:
The atlantic rays are pretty far up the st. johns river where it is completly fresh water I have read. Toms Caribbean sells them

That is true, but in fresh water they increase their urine ouput 10 fold to compensate for the salinity. They are much easier to keep in salt water.

jwong1024

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago
yes they can live in freshwater, but even in a 500 gallon tank. you will have to do WC every day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store