brackish tank?

Mr Dank YT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2017
I want a brackish tank with archer fish, i am thinking 1.005 salinity.
FISH I DO NOT WANT:
Puffers

the tank is 99 gallon so what good looking fish can be in brackish water?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Etroplus suratensus is a brackish water, primarily vegetarian, peaceful cichlid from Sri Lanka and India. If the tank is not too crowded it might be a good choice, although it gets the size of a dinner plate.

Another cichlid that appreciates brackish water is Alcolapia alcalicus.
It is small and very active, a mouthbrooder that comes from Lake Natron in Africa which can be more saline than the ocean.

male above, female holding eggs below

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Almost any livebearer (molly, platy, guppy), but as your archer grows, it will eat the smaller varieties. Sticklebacks. Some Gymnothorax (moray eels) will work, but be careful which one you buy. Monos. If the water is not so brackish, you could do goldfish. Perch and channelcats will outgrow your tank. Nerite snails. Blue crabs (may eat some fish)

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
Monos are a great choice. Scats have already been said but they are cool as well. There are a lot of goby options. I assume you don't want mudskippers or anableps but it is hard to talk about brackish tanks without them. Mollies are a great choice though many people feel they aren't exciting enough. Colombian sharks are another option.

Archers have been mentioned and to me that is an amazing choice. Research has shown they can identify 77 human faces. I love mine they always pay attention to what is going on outside the tank and if they want more food they spit at me. They don't just follow anyone who walks up to the tank either.

Reactions: Racersk and J. H.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store