Brown Algae on glass? Otto?

ucng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
Hi guys,
i have a thin film of brown algae on the glass of my ten gallon tank and it seems to spread. It is just a film on the glass and is also visible on the top of the leaves of my anubias nanas. I can scrub/scratch the glass but the ones on the plants are pretty hard to do so without damaging the plant. Will buying a couple of ottos (O. Affinis?) help reduce the amount of this brown algae on the class and top of the leaves? Thanks

10 gallon shrimp RCS Tank
plants :

DIY jello CO2
anubias nana 4
hairgrass
HC in a week
5 marimo moss balls

ucng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
San Jose, CA
drgnfrc13;4556076; said:
Get some snails (make sure it's a species that doesn't eat plants though, like nerites or mystery snails).
hmm this might work. Do u know if ottos will work since they are also harmless to shrimp(lets)?

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I think otos would work, but otos require a lot more care than snails. Otos need to be fed every day (algae alone will not be enough to keep them healthy) and they produce more waste, whereas with snails, you can get away with just throwing in some lettuce once a week or once every 2 weeks (depending on how many you have and your aquarium temperature).

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I think Ottos are the better choice. IMO snails produce more waste than the ottos. Plus the snails could breed and then you would have hundreds of snails. Ottos do not harm plants, inverts, or fish. Ottos will eat all the algae, they LOVE brown algae. And if they do need extra food they will eat whatever your shrimp eats.

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
..i have both in my 10 gallon planted, 3 ottos and a hand full of ramshorn snails...
i like them both for different reasons, though the snails will breed like mad...i collect them and crush them up till the shells are tiny and freeze them...than brake chunks off for food later,
ottos are fun to watch and will school ..running around the tank mouthing every thing, busy little guys ^_^
really its up to you..do you want more fish? ottos are cute and will work but you might have to feed them once i a while...or feed your shirmp a little more so they can get some as well.
i drop a chunk of what ever veggie is in the fridge (lettuces ,spinach, bock choy , zucchini, cucumber, ext ext) in the tank when i think about it....probably ever few weeks, they are pretty easy fish to take care of but snails are easy as well...
your pick really ^_^ good luck
FYI they cant eat hard algae and dont like the brush algae you see on the plants in the pic..(though i fixed that problem in the tank already)

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
FYI the algae on the anubias isn't gonna come off. Ottos aren't able to eat that, you can't even scrape it off with a razor blade! I had the same problem and ended up having to get rid of my anubias. They are very slow growing, so that is what happens when you stick them under a lot of light. Try shading them a bit so they're not in direct light.

Kaosu

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 8, 2010
Washington State
FYI the algae on the anubias isn't gonna come off. Ottos aren't able to eat that, you can't even scrape it off with a razor blade! I had the same problem and ended up having to get rid of my anubias. They are very slow growing, so that is what happens when you stick them under a lot of light. Try shading them a bit so they're not in direct light.
..yup i know this..the log in the last pic used to be covered as well ^_^ i kinda like it in my tank when it is under control witch it is now.

Guapoako318

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2010
VA
I would say ottos. They will clean all the brown algae off your plants too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store