Bumblebee cats: any hope of them coming out in daylight?

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Do dither-fish help, as with loaches?

The importer had bumblebee cats at ~1cm & they were adorable, and affordable, so I ordered five. They doubled if not trebled in size in 3-months, but to see them is only by flashlight well after dark. Markings are iridescent & I'm otherwise very happy with them.

I removed the sleeper gobies & lemon tetras last month, so these cats are in a near-empty 55 with 2x small clown pleco .sp & a guppy brood-pair, bamboo segments & coconut halves over a Halimeda "oats" sand substrate. Tank is un-lit, but one end gets reflected window-light enough to keep plants from dying (without growing). It's an older set-up so oscracods, amphipods, annelids, various snails etc. all should be present, along with one-one baby guppy.

Q: Re-add dithers (more guppies?)?
Q: Flow/current?
Q: Almond/blackwater?

... or is it just time & growing-up?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Q: Almond/blackwater? From my experience except for flow/current didn't make a difference. The amazon bumblebee stills hides under driftwood
I had 3 and now have 1in a 20gal with a banjo catfish that I only see come from under the sand when it's hungry lol.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Not a chance. I have a half dozen or so and I only see them when I remove all the hides to clean the tank.

Reactions: AR1 and tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
While I've never personally tried this, I've heard that using a red tank light gives the fish the illusion of nighttime and gets the night owls out of their hidey holes. But there are probably less expensive solutions.

Reactions: AR1

Lazybum34

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2024
Do dither-fish help, as with loaches?

The importer had bumblebee cats at ~1cm & they were adorable, and affordable, so I ordered five. They doubled if not trebled in size in 3-months, but to see them is only by flashlight well after dark. Markings are iridescent & I'm otherwise very happy with them.

I removed the sleeper gobies & lemon tetras last month, so these cats are in a near-empty 55 with 2x small clown pleco .sp & a guppy brood-pair, bamboo segments & coconut halves over a Halimeda "oats" sand substrate. Tank is un-lit, but one end gets reflected window-light enough to keep plants from dying (without growing). It's an older set-up so oscracods, amphipods, annelids, various snails etc. all should be present, along with one-one baby guppy.

Q: Almond/blackwater?

... or is it just time & growing-up?
Maybe try adding more hides mine came out in the day when I had alot

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store