Calling all Frontosa keepers

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
neutrino neutrino - I’ve got a fair amount of gear at this stage. Waiting on the delivery of the 210 Aqueon and pine stand sometime in July. I wanted to say thanks for the tips all the way along, it made it easier to plan for these fish and finalize exactly what I’ll be doing.

I found a source for WC Mpimbwe here in Canada - but they’re very pricy. Like $170 each. If I can find domestic Moba or something I might try and go in that direction instead to save some money.

I wanted to ask one further question. I picked up an FX-6 yesterday, and am eventually hoping to get a second for the tank. With just 5 or 6 small Frontosa in a 210, do you think I could get away with just a single FX-6 until I can grab a second on a Black Friday sale or something? Or would it be essential that I run two immediately?

I’m just trying to find ways to spread out some of the costs over time, rather than several large purchases all at once.
My assumption is that should work, I usually consider about 2x manufacturers suggestion for filter capacity as a general sweet spot for my tanks, typically lightly to moderately stocked-- that's with cycled media. But I haven't had the FX filters, it's been mostly Eheims, so I don't know, really, and someone with real life FX6 experience could probably better answer that. Small frontosa are not especially hard on bio-load, they're not an especially active, fast growing fish that needs to eat a ton and really shouldn't be overfed.

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
Love my FX filters. I think 1 FX6 will be fine for quite awhile. When fish are full grown the second may be needed.

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
I agree with the responses above. I use FX4 and FX6 filters, in conjunction with sumps in my tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store