Can I do it?

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
So I have recently acquired a 180. It's 8 ft by 2 ft square. I have a saddle bichir that's about 10 inches long and a veiled oscar also about 10 inches including fins. They are currently in a 55. I intend on moving them into the 180 how ever I belive that it would still be fairly empty. What are the chances of the Jardini aro being a acceptable tank addition. I'm aware they are a little more aggressive but I'm also aware that they are top dwellers while the other two are mid and bottom. My concern is that at some point it may become difficult for the aro to turn at the ends. My lfs has 3 silver aro in a 150 and they look smooshed. I don't want to see that with my tank. Will the Jardini fit in the 180? If so what are the chances of keeping an oscar with it? I can always leave the oscar in the 55 by it self but that seems like a tight squeeze for an adult oscar. If the Jardini is too big are there any other species of aro that would fit in the 180. I think there and awesome fish and would love to spoil the hell out one.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You'll be fine just as long as jardini is big enough because the Oscar will eat it.

I've seen that combo with even more aggressive fish. Every fish has its own personality but normally jardini are mean but oscars are as well. It's a hit or a miss but you have another tank just incase

Dgmannn412

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2016
So update to my question. The tank is 95 inches long 23 inches wide and 21inches tall. I was told that it is 180 gallon and then I was told that the dementions add up to more like 220. I don't know the math to get volume and then how to convert that to gallons but at this point on going to steer away from the aro. I have decided that I want jaguars and dovii. I don't believe that they will immediately kill each other so hopefully little babies that grow up together will get along.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
So update to my question. The tank is 95 inches long 23 inches wide and 21inches tall. I was told that it is 180 gallon and then I was told that the dementions add up to more like 220. I don't know the math to get volume and then how to convert that to gallons but at this point on going to steer away from the aro. I have decided that I want jaguars and dovii. I don't believe that they will immediately kill each other so hopefully little babies that grow up together will get along.
they wont. get the jags, a full grown male dovii shouldn't really be put in a 23" wide space.

Theres no hoping for jags and dovii to get along, the dovii will most likely agro and kill everything else.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Get jags and plenty of hiding space

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
according to this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/converter/volume-calculator.php

your tank is 198 us gallons / 751 litres from the dimensions provided.

I'd nix the idea of a dovii, cause he can and will claim the entire thing then kill anyone else. Are you not big on Oscars? Could have 2 or 3 in there...

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
Calculating tank volume: LxWxH in inches, then divide by 230. For instance yours: 95x23x21=45,885 cubic inches. A gallon is roughly 230 cubic inches soooo 45,885÷230=199.5 gallons. You have a 200 gallon tank.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
To go back to your original idea, a Jar will do just fine, even at max size. :)

As for an Oscar killing a Jar, I have never heard of that, my Jar was with 3 Oscars, one of them being pretty much the same size, and denying anyone else food with his greediness.
Nothing ever happened, not even as much as a nip.

But I do realize I was lucky with the Jar temperament...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store