can i put two asian arowana in one tank

achintha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
i have two new baby red arowana i was wondering if i can keep them in the same tank
6*L, 2.5*B, 2.5H*
i was wondering if i keep them from small times they will get used to each other and not fight
thanks
here's a video proving my point
this has 3 asian aros and one silver in it
thanks

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
It’s definitely not recommended to have less than 3 in a cohab tank. You want 3 or more to spread out the aggression. Especially with reds, they seem to be more aggressive than the other asians.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

achintha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
It’s definitely not recommended to have less than 3 in a cohab tank. You want 3 or more to spread out the aggression. Especially with reds, they seem to be more aggressive than the other asians.
so is that why the arowanas dont fight in the video

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
so is that why the arowanas dont fight in the video
It could be part of it also there are a million gold fish in there distracting them from each other. Which I do not recommend lol.

A quick heads up- I would never base any of my tank mate cohabs off of a 3-4 min video on YouTube, just because it works for the guy in the video, doesn’t always mean it will be a long term or life long situation. Especially when the fish in question are 1k plus... typically for good quality.

truth be told the size of your tank is big enough for a while but I wouldn’t even consider keeping more than one in that tank for more than a year. Two reds will turn on each other and you will end up with 2 shredded fish if you lucky. Possibly worse than that.

sorry if this isn’t the advise you were hoping for... I sharing, more research than actual hands on experience here. I have never owned reds, but have lots of friends who have. I just haven’t seen many others responding and would hate for you to lose your fish from lack of info..

achintha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2020
It could be part of it also there are a million gold fish in there distracting them from each other. Which I do not recommend lol.

A quick heads up- I would never base any of my tank mate cohabs off of a 3-4 min video on YouTube, just because it works for the guy in the video, doesn’t always mean it will be a long term or life long situation. Especially when the fish in question are 1k plus... typically for good quality.

truth be told the size of your tank is big enough for a while but I wouldn’t even consider keeping more than one in that tank for more than a year. Two reds will turn on each other and you will end up with 2 shredded fish if you lucky. Possibly worse than that.

sorry if this isn’t the advise you were hoping for... I sharing, more research than actual hands on experience here. I have never owned reds, but have lots of friends who have. I just haven’t seen many others responding and would hate for you to lose your fish from lack of info..
thanks for your help it might be best if i buy two tanks for each of them

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!

Great advise!

Reactions: Matteus

mareshow

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I used to have a community tank with 4 arowana, I had a great community, as soon as I removed one though, they fought. there are a lot of variables though to whether it'll work or not though. Do your research. You'll see in a lot of community tank videos ripped fins and damaged scales on some fish. That's a product of the fighting. Again I was lucky that I has very little aggression but if you don't mind a little damage on each fish you'll be fine :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store