can SH live in brackish water?

Siciliano

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
HAMBURG
Hi,

NO they cant.............. look were bleherie comes from ...... Sneakeheads are very sensitve (is this right ? sound s a bit *** to me... :confused: ) whith salt in the water, I' ve read that Striata could survive in very slightly brackish water.........

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
No, they have a low tolerance of salt compared to most other freshwater species.

Some people have had channas die just from lightly salting the water to treat the tank for ich etc

matty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2005
Newcastle Upon Tyne, England
Categorically not. Snakeheads do not encounter salt in their natural waters, and most aquarium snakeheads are wild caught. Do you want to keep them with some brackish species or something?

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
i want to use the tank that he is in for a breeding experiment. and i have some room in a brackish tank that i have running

channa bleheri are endemic to the Brahmaputra River basin in Assam at India ,they are solely freshwater, i will suggest a temp small holding tank which is sufficient .

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
ive read of instances where folks have followed the standard 1tbs/5-10g mix when treating ill sh tanks and the bad outcomes because of it. sounds risky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store