can Spray polyurethane foam kill fish? Sealant foam

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
Hey all,
So here's the situation. I bought a 130 gallon sump, i hired a contractor to take apart my stand and put in under my 360 gallon. But this crack, didnt seal one of the PVC outlets properly, so the sump has been leaking (very lightly), the contractor wouldnt fix it (i paid him 350$ just to do this simple job)... so another guy came in, who worked with furnaces, sealed the PVC with a can of can Spray polyurethane foam. it looks like it has hardened and the tank isnt leaking anymore. But i'm sure some of the chemicals/foam went in the sump (i saw air bubbles push out of the pvc inside the tank)... soo, how do i know if this thing will kill my fish? will it degrade in the future and kill my fish? anyway I can do a chemical test? did i just ruin my 130gallon sump? feedback much appreciated. I dont want to connect this thing, unless i fix it up.

thanks, will get pictures through.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Clear pictures may possibly help.

What material is the sump made of?

Do you know the brand of spray polyurethane foam the 'guy' used?

Reactions: tlindsey

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Polyurethane information can be looked up on a material safety data sheet (see the internet for MSDS Polyurethane.) Here's a similar question. http://www.minnfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45697

It's ability to poison aquatic organisms depends on it's form and which particular product you have used. Pouring a gallon of polyurethane into a small pond is quite different from spraying it on an object and letting it fully cure before putting it in an aquarium. Additives also may vary.

Generally speaking, once fully dried, it should be relatively inert, and in some forms, due to molecular weight, it's considered unlikely to enter the aquatic food chain. In your case, if the tank hasn't suffered losses yet, you are probably going to be fine.

Long term degradation (again refer to that product using an MSDS) is something that as D deeda said may depend on that particular brand.

Other unusual or atypical chemical substances like fish medications, dechlorinators, etc., "might" have an effect on that product that hasn't been tested. I'm not intending to worry you, but it's worth noting that no one tests all possible chemical interactions before products are deemed "safe." I'd consider it probable that someone has used that product and not had problems, but unless you identify the exact product and where and how it was used, it's difficult to reply.

It's also might be possible that you could seal the area with something inert like aquarium silicone or epoxy resin (as suggested in the posted thread.)

Last edited:
Reactions: PDRed302

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
hey guys, thank you so much for the helpful response... the one he used is this

https://www.eastwood.com/sealant-foam-12-oz.html?mrkgcl=764&mrkgadid={_mrkgadid}&rkg_id=h-e42f22df3b1ae918500d098b76803a84_t-1516168382&product_id={product_id}&adpos={adposition}&creative={creative}&device={device}&matchtype={matchtype}&network={network}&SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=CjwKCAiA4vbSBRBNEiwAMorER2ZDW5zx594eA4sknkvt9cQTDgJalJmcM-FQMUD_C-GMwFHtUZU01RoCLbwQAvD_BwE

Polyurethane information can be looked up on a material safety data sheet (see the internet for MSDS Polyurethane.) Here's a similar question. http://www.minnfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45697

It's ability to poison aquatic organisms depends on it's form and which particular product you have used. Pouring a gallon of polyurethane into a small pond is quite different from spraying it on an object and letting it fully cure before putting it in an aquarium. Additives also may vary.

Generally speaking, once fully dried, it should be relatively inert, and in some forms, due to molecular weight, it's considered unlikely to enter the aquatic food chain. In your case, if the tank hasn't suffered losses yet, you are probably going to be fine.

Long term degradation (again refer to that product using an MSDS) is something that as D deeda said may depend on that particular brand.

Other unusual or atypical chemical substances like fish medications, dechlorinators, etc., "might" have an effect on that product that hasn't been tested. I'm not intending to worry you, but it's worth noting that no one tests all possible chemical interactions before products are deemed "safe." I'd consider it probable that someone has used that product and not had problems, but unless you identify the exact product and where and how it was used, it's difficult to reply.

It's also might be possible that you could seal the area with something inert like aquarium silicone or epoxy resin (as suggested in the posted thread.)

Clear pictures may possibly help.

What material is the sump made of?

Do you know the brand of spray polyurethane foam the 'guy' used?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
The MSDS doesn't indicate an aquatic impact, so based upon that and assuming no adverse reactions to typical aquarium chemicals, I'd guess you're fine.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20180120_142553.jpg
Unless you have some very sensitive coral, I have used polyurethane foaming glues, underwater as they need moisture to cure. The excess floats, and will not mix with water.

I am certain they are, not toxic to water, as I have used it commerialy on under water bridge and dam construction projects, per engineering orders. It plugs holes in concrete forms. Prior to pouring 20 tons of concrete.

Typically they cure fast, and the excess will float and skim the surface.

If it was toxic, it would not be used, on a federal project. Just my 2 cents. Works great to seal something that is wet.

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
Thank you everyone with your feedback. I went with sawing off the current bulkhead and putting a new one in. Added a valve to the new one, will be putting it in tonight. Any suggestions? I was going to add some silicone on the outside of the bulkhead after I put it on, any other suggestions?

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Thank you everyone with your feedback. I went with sawing off the current bulkhead and putting a new one in. Added a valve to the new one, will be putting it in tonight. Any suggestions? I was going to add some silicone on the outside of the bulkhead after I put it on, any other suggestions?
I would imagine since you replaced the bulkhead with a brand new one there is no need to silicone anything. I used PVC glue on my bulk heads and that’s it. Never had a single leak. Just make sure you lightly lube the bulkhead gasket

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store