Caribe VS RBP

goosej13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Canada
I have been doing RBP's for years now and I have recently been looking into the Caribe world. Does anyone have and insight on the two. Has anyone had both, which did you enjoy more. One thing that does bother me with my RBP is that they are so nervous around new people and every time I do a water change they are MIA for a day or two after. Are the Caribe the same? from what I have been reading they are a little better with people. As well how many can I keep in a 125 gallon? My goal was 5-10 of them.

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
I have had both, my cariba were generally less "nervous" around people but are still skittish if you compare them to say oscars. during water changes they usually stay away from me but resume their normal activities soon after water changes, never had to wait for a day or two. even the reds I had before didn't require that long of a recovery time.
a 125g you can start with 10 babies but not for life so eventually you need to down size. same with reds that you need plenty filtration with cariba.

goosej13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Canada
Thanks jp

I will never upsize past 125 so I will just have to rock out with 5 of them. My reds I think take so long because I have them in a common area in my house with a lot of people traffic and kids playing in that area. They use to be a lot worse but have improved ten fold... I have watched a bunch of vids on the cariba and they will get excited when people approach the tank.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
i find your red belly piranhas behavior to be odd, mine were right back to normal within a few minutes of me clearing the tank. my tank was in the living room and didn't seem to be more active when new people were over...i had made a post before that they seem to sense fear but since it was girls, it was most likely the bright colors they were wearing

ArttyFish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
The Land Of Fish Lovers
Caribes are the best. I have had both RBP in the past and I own Caribes now at 8-9 inches and they have no fear at all. I even purposely try to freak them out by moving fast in front of their tank and they just look at me like they are saying "Cmon, who you trying to scare?"
They just stay there and watch me make a fool out of myself.

tellemuno

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2009
Detroit, MI
u will enjoy caribe more, i had reds 1st, and after i went to caribe i will never buy another red. they r mostly tank bread wich to me makes them knockoffs or something, but they r good as a starter fish for a newbe, becuz they r cheap so there easy to replace. imho

jp80911

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
NJ
if cariba is some how hard to get then you can always try to get your hands on wild reds, the ones I had are pretty similar to cariba as compare to the usual CB ones.

goosej13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
Canada
Thanks guys... I might have to try the switch... I do not know if I can give up my pbp's tho haha... We will see

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store