Central and South American stocking ideas for a 55 gl

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
I have currently obtain a used 55 gallon tank and I was thinking of doing a South American maybe central American cichlid community. Although I'm pushing more into South American since they are more "docile" compared to other new world cichlids.
What I had in mind was:
* 1-2 Anglefish

* 2-3 Electric Blue Arcaras

* A school of 10( maybe more or less depending in the rest of the stocking) of big body tetras like a rosy tetra or others.

I would appreciate other ideas and the number of fish that would be appropriate for the tank size. Maybe something that is more available in my LFS.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have currently obtain a used 55 gallon tank and I was thinking of doing a South American maybe central American cichlid community. Although I'm pushing more into South American since they are more "docile" compared to other new world cichlids.
What I had in mind was:
* 1-2 Anglefish

* A school of 10( maybe more or less depending in the rest of the stocking) of big body tetras like a rosy tetra or others.

I would appreciate other ideas and the number of fish that would be appropriate for the tank size. Maybe something that is more available in my LFS.
Welcome aboard :)
I personally suggest 4 EBA or 4 Angels but only 1 group not both with the group of tetra and maybe a group of Corydora as bottom dwellers.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Blue acaras are considered “docile” by some but there is still conspecific aggression among most cichlid species and tank size plays a large part in their behavior. A fish may be more calm in a 150 gallon than a 50 gallon, for instance.

I would avoid acara types unless you went with small ones (Laetacara). There are other peaceful fish like Cleithracara, Biotodoma, Mikrogeophagus, Crenicara, Apistogramma, Nannacara, and Dicrossus that do well in a tank that size. You could do small groups of all these types with schools of tetras.

Angels could be a possibility but they will also have conspecific aggression issues in a tank that size if you only have two or three individuals, and angels will also eat small tetras so you’d have to pick larger and deeper-bodied tetras like lemons or serpae to prevent angels from snacking on them.

Reactions: magpie and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
What I had in mind was:
* 1-2 Anglefish

I suggested 4 for aggression issues and if 2 paired off you could rehome the others if issues arise.

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Welcome aboard :)
I personally suggest 4 EBA or 4 Angels but only 1 group not both with the group of tetra and maybe a group of Corydora as bottom dwellers.
Blue acaras are considered “docile” by some but there is still conspecific aggression among most cichlid species and tank size plays a large part in their behavior. A fish may be more calm in a 150 gallon than a 50 gallon, for instance.

I would avoid acara types unless you went with small ones (Laetacara). There are other peaceful fish like Cleithracara, Biotodoma, Mikrogeophagus, Crenicara, Apistogramma, Nannacara, and Dicrossus that do well in a tank that size. You could do small groups of all these types with schools of tetras.

Angels could be a possibility but they will also have conspecific aggression issues in a tank that size if you only have two or three individuals, and angels will also eat small tetras so you’d have to pick larger and deeper-bodied tetras like lemons or serpae to prevent angels from snacking on them.
Thank you both for the input, is it possible to fit one Angel and a small group of zebra Aracaras ( Nannacara adoketa ) and some ditter fish to dilute aggression?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thank you both for the input, is it possible to fit one Angel and a small group of zebra Aracaras ( Nannacara adoketa ) and some ditter fish to dilute aggression?

I personally don't have any experience with the Zebra Acara but other members will chime in.

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
You could do that but I would do dwarf cichlid pairs in that tank with dithers, you could for example have:
1 apisto pair
1 electric blue ram pair
6-8 rummynose tetras
6-8 salt and pepper cories
This is just an example, you could have three dwarf cichlid pairs with enough territories but I prefer light stocking

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I don't see a problem with this, though I have not kept adoketa either.

Dithers don't really dilute aggression, they make the fish feel safer in the tank. In the wild, cichlids watch tetras, etc. as a warning sign for predators, so in a tank when they see them swimming carefree, it signals to them that it's ok to come out. What you are thinking of, is target fish. Cichlids are mostly aggressive to other cichlids, particularly ones that look like them, so target fish are usually small tough cichlids like convicts that take some of the beating for the "main" subdominant inhabitants. When dealing with small cichlids like you are considering, you obviously can't use convicts as they would kill your "main" fish- the only way to do it with small fish like this, is to keep larger groups of the "main" fish. I recommend 5 or 6 as a good number to keep as a small group.

Cichlidguy1234

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2017
Alright I see, thank you again to everyone. I think I'm going for a group of 4-6 zebra Aracaras, one Angel, and a school of large body tetras. If it's not over stocking maybe...maybe a pair of GBR, but most likely not. If I can't find the zebra aracras, that where at my LFS, then some apistos will do.
Also What are some tetras that the angle would not see them as a snack ?

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Ivanacara adoketa are pretty solitary. I kept a group of six in a 40 breeder and when they weren’t eating they all retreated to a plant or pot and sat there by themselves. You will need fairly soft water for them; they’re not as forgiving as some cichlids about water parameters.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store