Classic RTG Arowana

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Took a few updated pics for another site , Pics are just snapped with my cell and really don't do him justice but I thought I'd share them here as well, "he's" roughly 6 years old and around 22" & mean as hell .

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks.

Just curious anyone is confident in sexing aros ? Or anyone care to take a guess?? I don't plan to breed I know it's no easy task but would love to know the gender for a future project.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
From research that I have done. The males typically have a bigger more spoon shape head for holding eggs along with a taller body I dont know if there is a 100% way to tell by looking. I haven't found any info yet

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I've also heard that they have larger heads but there's very little info out there on it .

I call mine Male because he has got the big spoony head and because he's terribly territorial and destroys tankmates. EVERY tankmate that is supposedly compatable with an RTG has been killed by this guy. I've tried everything from tiny 1" fast movers to big monsters twice his size and everything inbetween I even had to remove my frt because he kept grabbing it by the head to thrash it around and has latched onto my hand on several occasions . He's a true monster lol

Reactions: jsodwi and Dee eng

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Thanks! I'll try to measure and see !

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Was playing around with the lighting , this is the same fish just turned the 2 actinic bulbs.

I don't find the actinic flattering for an aro really eliminates the blues and holds but he was swimming down the line between the front white lights and the back actinic lights so his colour wasn't completely washed out by them.

Reactions: dng22
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store