Cloudy and bulgy eye on fantail goldfish...

Figureguy

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2024
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
31-40%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Good evening. I recently added a second fantail to my tank. However he got stuck between the airstone hose and glass and perished. I did a 50% water change and replaced the sponge in my HOB but didn't touch the media. I also did a thorough vacuum. However I noticed this a couple of days ago that he has a cloudy eye he did not before. I wonder if this is something he caught from the other fish or not. Even though it died its' eyes were fine. Here's some more information:

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 gallons
How long has the tank been running? 1 week using substrate and media from existing cycled tank
Does it have a filter?Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? 76
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 fantail, about 1 and 1/2in.

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?Weekly
How much of the water do you change?40%
What do you use to treat your water?Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I used existing cycled media and substrate
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:5ppm
pH: 8
GH: 180
KH: 80

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Twice a day
How much do you feed your fish?
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra Goldfish Crisps
Do you feed frozen? No
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 3 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Two days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Cloudy and bulging eye
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Added aquarium salt to tank, Kanaplex, General cure and Fin and Body Cure
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? It is staying on the top of the water column mostly

I had added a second small fantail to the 20g to see if they could cohabitate well for a week. 4 days later the new fantail died and since he did I did a water change. However two days ago I noticed the existing fish with a cloudy eye. I put the Fin and Body Cure, the General cure and the salt as they say you can add multiple API products at once. At least according to their website. I threw the Kanaplex in also as I had it on hand and wasn't sure what I was treating. I waited until the directions said to do a 25% change and that was today. According to the directions all 3 products were due for another dose. He has an airstone pumping so there is oxygenated water but he is hanging around the top of the tank which is strange tonight he was breathing at the surface but only for a couple minutes.

I also have erythromyacin on hand but know that you use either the Kanaplex or that. However some people say Kana is the go to for popeye, and others say erythro. After 48 hours I do not think there has been a change. Any thoughts would be great appreciated.

20240624_083759.jpg

20240624_083756.jpg

Attachments

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store